Stumped by an O ring

ArneA

Seaman
1964 Fastwin 18hp long shaft Evinrude.. Just put the water pump impeller in and the housing screwed down tight. In the parts manual for the Evinrude Gear case group there is an O ring identified as part number 11in the 1964 parts diagram.. On the 1963 parts diagram it is identified as part #43. I have no idea what this O ring does or how it fits in the top of the water pump housing..There is no indentation for the O ring to sit in.. I just slid it down the drive shaft to the top of the pump housing. The top of the pump housing has "fins" in it so the O ring wont slide down any further than the top of the housing..., What the heck is this O ring for?? It does not appear to seal anything. It will just spin around on the drive shaft... I'm stumped !! don't want to finish putting this unit back together until I can find out what the heck that O ring is suppose to do..There is an indentation on the top of the drive shaft just under the splines but the diagram does not show the O ring in that place. .. Wisdom appreciated..

64osby

Admiral
It goes right below the splines on the top of the drive shaft. Keeps the water out so the splines won't rust in the powerhead.

Last edited:

ArneA

Seaman
thank you,,,I thought that It went somewhere that has an indentation for it to sit in...The diagram does not show it on the drive shaft...thank you so much. I will quit trying to fit it on the fins in the top of the pump housing...

jb93

Petty Officer 1st Class
ArneA - put some grease on the splines of the driveshaft before you reinstall it...just on the splines, not on top of the shaft. I believe your manual would call for OMC Moly Lube grease. Probably best to use what is specified, but if not readily available a good marine grease would be better than nothing.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Aren't you supposed to have left over parts when you take things apart? :facepalm: :lol: I usually do...