Stuck Steering

Sheltering

Cadet
I have a 1993 65 hp Johnson outboard and the steering is stuck. I attempted to disconnecat the motor tube but cable is stuck in the tube. With the nuts loosened on the tube there is some movement of the steering wheel which suggests that the problem is limited to the cable stuck in the engine tube. Can someone help with some suggestions to get this cable out?

Don in New Brunswick, Canada

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Stuck Steering

I hate that job. Unfortunatly, there is no easy way. Try all the usual penetrating juices and beat it out. It may help to dismount the motor from the transom and let it hang from a hoist while you work on it. In fact, it may be necessary to do that anyway, if there is not enough side clearance to get it out. You may destroy it before you get it out. Sometimes in severe cases you have to replace cable and tilt tube.

I won't insult you by suggesting the problem could have been prevented by proper maintenance. But that assembly has to be cleaned and lubricated on a regular schedule.

beardeddone

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just removed my steering cable when I took my engine off of my boat, it was a challenge to get it off and out of the tilt tube as it was real dirty and sticky dry, luckily I had a piece of bar stock that helped me out by tapping it out enough to get it out, the question I have is, is there a hole in that tube that will match up with the zirks (not sure of that spelling) fitting for grease so it can get lubed along with the tilt tube..

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Not that I've ever seen, but I haven't seen them all. The zerks are for lubricating the tilt.

beardeddone

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not that I've ever seen, but I haven't seen them all. The zerks are for lubricating the tilt.

Interesting, you would think that beings that the steering cable runs thru the tilt it could grease the steering cable bar as well if there was a hole to allow it..

Thanks for your reply

Sheltering

Cadet

I won't insult you by suggesting the problem could have been prevented by proper maintenance. But that assembly has to be cleaned and lubricated on a regular schedule.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the responses. I'm not the least insulted as I just purchased boat and motor less than a month ago and have not had it in the water yet. I'm just attempting to get everything ready for next year. When I first brought the boat home, I noticed that the steering was working, but I believe I left it turned hard to the left.
I now have the motor separated from the transom which gives me more room to work. Presently the end of the steering cable is just flush with the end of the tilt tube. I have been applying WD-40 and tapping on the housing, and now I can rotate the cable slightly with a pair of needle nose plyers. Now that I can get at it better I think I will use a rod to attempt to drive the cable through the tube.
I can see where this will be a regular maintenance in the future.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Actually there IS a device for lubricating the cable and keeping the grease in and water out. Get it here at iboats. Seachoice Steering Guards - iboats

They also have a wire brush for cleaning the rust out of the tube once you get it apart.

beardeddone

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Actually there IS a device for lubricating the cable and keeping the grease in and water out. Get it here at iboats. Seachoice Steering Guards - iboats

They also have a wire brush for cleaning the rust out of the tube once you get it apart.
Thanks for that link, I'll be getting one of those, maybe two if it can be put on both ends of the tilt tube which it looks like it can..