Stuck on first step

b0mbtrack

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am trying to align a tranny to a coupler. Had the tranny removed and replace but am using the same mounts as before. I put the tranny in and in its natural position, where it lies now compared to where the coupler is does not line up. I have to pull up on the shaft quit a bit to get them to line up. Would the first step be to lower the engine a bit to get them to line up as much as i can in this natural position, or should i be pulling up on the shaft.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: Stuck on first step

In a perfect world we align the engine/trans to the shaft AFTER the boat has sat in the water for a couple of days to 'normalize' the hull/engine bed.

If the propshaft is more than one piece then start at the prop and work your way forward aligning each section until finally you align the engine to the shaft.

Sometimes, it can be a tedious, time consuming job, but the payoff is reduced vibration and a lot less stress on parts.

b0mbtrack

Petty Officer 1st Class

the boat has been in the water since friday so if i attempt doing the alignment tomorrow i should be ok, but am not sure about wether i should bring the engine down to the shaft or pick up on the shaft and bring it to the engine.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You want to center the shaft in the stuffing box, then align the engine to match up with the coupler