Stuck needle valve

dgabler

Cadet
I have an '80 18' sunray with an aq120b. Sat for 20+ years with fuel in it. There was a ton of varnish in the tank. got most of it out but still have some in the tank.

I am using an racor 500MA filter with a 30 micron filter.

I do not know if the needle was replaced when the carb was rebuilt.

The needle is a bit sticky. Not excessive however it does stick, causing the bowl to go dry.

My question: Assuming that the needle is bad (and I replace it) with my filter in place will that be effective at capturing the varnish (and keeping the needle stick free) or should I be using the 10 micron?

Oh and I can not pull the tank out as it is fiberglassed into the hull. And I did verify with racor that the filter is ok to use with gasoline not just diesel.

Thank you.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Stuck needle valve

If you had varnish in the gas tank, then it's a sure bet you have varnish in the carb passages as well as junk in the float bowl. A rebuild kit is only $38 on ebay so why not do it right?

dgabler

Cadet

when I rebuild it will a 30 micron filter be enough? Or do I need a 10?

dgabler

Cadet

Ordered the rebuild kit. Hopefully the suspended varnish does not plug the new needle valve.

Can I order just the needle valve? Or does it always come in a kit?

Wonder how I could rig up a recirculating pump to run fuel through the filter with out removing the tank. Could then pick up some of the bad stuff missed the first go around. hmmm

Sparkscw

Seaman Apprentice

Wonder how I could rig up a recirculating pump to run fuel through the filter with out removing the tank. Could then pick up some of the bad stuff missed the first go around. hmmm

I read on another site about a guy doing this and he had great luck with it.
He let it run for quite some time (as in a couple hours), and had the pick up hose stuffed down in the tank and kept moving it around ("like a shop vac").
He kept recurculating the gas back into the tank, and I don't think he was using the stock fuel filter system.
He also used a filter system that he could see and kept at it until it was coming out clean.
Considering the problems that can come from bad fuel, I would have to say it was time and effort well spent.
David