Stuck in reverse

I have a Johnson 60hp model #VXL 13A, that is stuck in reverse. I removed the hood and all linkage appears to move just fine. I then removed whatever plate that is that the exhaust goes through, and linkage there moves, but it looks like it does not quite move fully TO the reverse position. Of the inner workings beyond that point I am wholly ignorant. I have heard it might be the clutch dog. Is there anything else it might be? How complicated is it to replace? Thanks

fireman57

Captain
Re: Stuck in reverse

The dogs are pretty easy to replace. Either check the threads in the FAQs and/or get a manual. You are not spending money on the manual for only this job but the others that are sure to follow. They are a cheap investment.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

If you by any chance removed the philips screw that exists in the lower unit skeg, that would allow the internal shift lever to drop down and away from the clutch dog cradle which would disable the shifting function. Did you?

I do not believe I took the unit far enough apart to do any such thing. However, I did find evidence that someone had been tinkering around in there, as I found a plastic cap labeled emergency start cord lodged inside the piece I took off.

Thank you Joe Reeves! I removed two tiny access panels and found that the linkage was indeed disconnected farther down inside. Now, however, forward and neutral work, but neutral wants to stay in gear and reverse wants to slip out. Is there any way to adjust the linkage? This is not a matter of cable adjustment, cable was disconnected. Thanks again!