stuck in neutral on 90hp due to shifter on console

wn6ngp

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've got a 90hp 1999 model s/n OT087666. Its got the console mount (not side mounted skinny version) shifter. Normal operation is that you push the button in on the throttle that allows you to stay in neutral in order to give more throttle for starting. I think what is happening is that when I release that button it pops out but inside the mechanism its sticking so it will not engage in order to put it into fwd or reverse. Before I tear into that thing I thought I'd ask here. Could be a few squirts of lubricant into the mechanism will cause that mechanism to pop out. On the other hand there could be a spring in there that's broken. I can post a photo or even a video if that helps. Any suggestions or pointers to diagrams of what that thing looks like inside would be appreciated. I have the service manual but it doesn't show any detail about the shifter.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you need the shifter service manual for details like that.

Suggest you start to pull it apart. usually a simple fix

wn6ngp

Petty Officer 1st Class
you need the shifter service manual for details like that.

Suggest you start to pull it apart. usually a simple fix
I suspect that there is some old grease in there that has dried out that does not allow the mechanism to release inside despite the fact that the button does pop out. I'm a bit reluctant to start taking it apart as I'm expecting that springs may launch. Too much bad experience with things like this. Maybe I can find a diagram where they sell parts for that shifter?

wn6ngp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok, I took it apart and by the time I moved things around it started working properly, so I don't know exactly what I did. Not a good thing if this happens in the middle of the bay. That cam link hopped off as I took it apart. It may have been blocking something when it hopped off. I took some photos, in particular I wonder what the purpose is of those set screws as pointed to in red? Note in the noCamLink pix the red arrow points to a red button, that button is opposite from the gearReleaseButton.

Attachments

• GearReleaseButton.JPG
    GearReleaseButton.JPG
    154.2 KB · Views: 7
  • NoCamLink.JPG
    NoCamLink.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 7
  • setScrew.JPG
    setScrew.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 7
  • throttleCam.JPG
    throttleCam.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 6

wn6ngp

Petty Officer 1st Class
thinking back on this, I think that I caused the problem by depressing that black release button too agressively. That caused that red part inside to pop out a bit and it kicked that throttlecam off.

I still wonder what those round large set screws are for.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Clean it up and grease it. If nothing is broken, it should work fine. This happens occasionally, especially here on the saltwater.

wn6ngp

Petty Officer 1st Class
This is a saltwater flats boat. albeit a 20 year old Kenner. I have seen cellphone cables literally disappear when out there.

wn6ngp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for uploading but That looks like the skinnier side mounted shift/throttle model unless its a view with lots of parts removed. Notice on my photo setcrew.jpg there are 2 of them on the same side. The diagram posted appears to have one on each side.

merc850

Commander
I think one is the throttle detent ball screw if you turn it in it makes it harder to shift out of neutral, the other one decreases or increases the throttle resistance.

Rkuruvilla

Cadet
I've got a 90hp 1999 model s/n OT087666. Its got the console mount (not side mounted skinny version) shifter. Normal operation is that you push the button in on the throttle that allows you to stay in neutral in order to give more throttle for starting. I think what is happening is that when I release that button it pops out but inside the mechanism its sticking so it will not engage in order to put it into fwd or reverse. Before I tear into that thing I thought I'd ask here. Could be a few squirts of lubricant into the mechanism will cause that mechanism to pop out. On the other hand there could be a spring in there that's broken. I can post a photo or even a video if that helps. Any suggestions or pointers to diagrams of what that thing looks like inside would be appreciated. I have the service manual but it doesn't show any detail about the shifter.
From PNWboat Rear admiral
"Make sure the throttle handle is not in the Neutral Fast Idle position. If it is, this will disengage the cable that moves the gear shift linkage and you won't go any where when you push the throttle forward. To get it back to engage the shift cable, pull the throttle handle all the way back into full reverse, then back into Neutral. If it was in Neutral Fast Idle, the handle will "click" and you're back to normal operation"

I have a 90 hp Mercury and I played around with the throttle handle and managed to shift out of the stuck neutral position. Later I came across this posting from Rear Admiral which reflected exactly what i did by accident. Could not find any other posting on reseting the neutral.