Stuck in forward.

Chip

Cadet
I recently bought a "Well Used" Evinrude 9.0 hp with model no. 10425S and Serial No. E0001693. It runs but is stuck in forward. The previous owner said he had replaced the impeller and I wondered if the shift linkage is messed up. Can anyone help diagnose my problem and tell me what year the motor was made.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Chip<br /><br />------------------<br />Chip

KEITH122

Cadet
Re: Stuck in forward.

Is this a 9.5hp or a 9.9? The 9.5 is the older model, "pancake" style with the carb at the side. The 9.9 has the carb in the front.

Chip

Cadet

Kieth:<br /><br />This is a 9.9 hp. <br /><br />Chip

Bear

Lieutenant Commander

This is a 1974 9,9hp Evinrude.<br />Did you ask the previous owner if it was stuck in forward before he replaced the impeller? Did the shift ever work for him? Does the shift lever point in the forward, upright or backward direction?<br />Doesen't really matter. Tear it apart and do it again. Change the impeller again when you are at it. The impeller is vital and the prewious owner doesn't seem too concered.

Chip

Cadet

Thank you (both Keith122 and Bear) for responding to my inquiry.<br />As suspected, the upper shift rod and the lower shift rod were not connected at the coupler. In this model, the detent of each portion of the shift rod must be fully seated in the coupler before the coupler bolts are inserted and tightened. The previous owner had only connected the shift rod sections by tightening the coupler around the lower tip of the upper shift rod.