stuck driveshaft??

dodl

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,<br /><br />I searched around for a while, because my LU won't come off :) <br /><br />In almost every thread, i read the driveshaft is seized at the crankshaft. BUT, if so, how can it come off for about 1/4"? I think if the shaft is seized it won't move at all?<br /><br />thanks<br />martin

Clams Canino

Commander
Re: stuck driveshaft??

You might have a bolt still in - look under the trim anode.<br /><br />-W

dodl

Seaman Apprentice

Hello,<br /><br />All bolts are removed. Checked several times with the Manual at hands :) <br /><br />I'll try it next week with a big hammer...<br />Just curious how it can move with a frozen shaft. <br /><br />thanks<br />martin

ronmold

Petty Officer 1st Class

There's enough play in the L.U. bearings to allow 1/4 of play, at least on my V6! If you can turn the motor upside down you can drill a small hole (1/4") in the midsection near the powerhead and soak the drive shaft with Blaster or liquid wrench etc. This should run down right into the frozen shaft joint. Might take a few days of treatment. The hole can be fixed w/ JB weld. Good luck!

dodl

Seaman Apprentice

What makes me wonder is, i read about 15lbs sledgehammers and "beat the sh*t out of it".<br />On the other side, everybody says, be careful with flywheel removal because of the main bearings at the crank.<br /><br />But if i hammer on a frozen LU, i have the same effect. I do not care about the LU, i have 2 spares here. But i don't want to have to disassemble the powerhead to put new bearings in :) <br /><br />thanks <br />martin

tblentrprz

Cadet

did you get it separated? there is a couple methods to effectively do this without destroying the motor.