Stubborn Cold Start

Loggerhead52

Cadet
Hi All,
I have a 2004 Yamaha 50 2 stroke on a G3 165 Silver Eagle. I've had the boat for about two years and it has always been hard to start when cold. Once it's started the first time, it will continue to start the rest of the day as quickly as you turn the key. I suspect a choke problem but I'm simpy not familiar with the system used on this outboard motor. First I pump the bulb until it's firm. Then it is my understanding that you turn the key switch to the "on" position, then push in on it to activate the choke as you turn the key to the "start" position but it doesn't fire until you crank on it several times for 5 to 10 second intervals. This is very aggravating on days when the boat ramp is over crowded. I was told that the choke function on this motor is not achieved with butterfly plates but is accomplished with an electronic fuel enrichment valve of some kind? so would it have 3 enrichment valves since it has 3 carburetors? I just need to know if there is a way to check the choke operation and hopefully save myself a trip to the marina. THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Stubborn Cold Start

yes it can be checked but it requires a service manual and partial dissasembly of the carbs.
make sure the red manual switch is in the auto position as you can manualy activate enrichment or turn it off entirely.

Loggerhead52

Cadet

Where is the auto position for the lever Rodbolt? I can only see "open" and "close" positions identified on the plate. The red lever has a little tab on it where it fits between a notch...could be that it's been in the wrong position from day one if that's the automatic position.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

without seeing the diagram I cant say.
make sure the throttles are closed when starting. any warm up lever operation will result in hard starting on that motor.