Stuarts Cable adjustment

PT

Seaman
From reading what Stuart says to do , I needed to adjust the cable before i put on the outdrive, I already have the outdrive on , is there another way to adjust this or do i have to do the dreaded task & remove it again. Said i would never do this again when i got it on last night. Stuarts instructions says i need 7 5\8 inch from the from the center of the shift pin hole to the edge of the cable crimp. I have 8 1\2 inch. Is there a way or do i have to back up & if i do how can i save my Transom gasket or do i need to get another , Manuel said to put gasket sealing compound which i did & now I m afraid it want come off in 1 piece.

Trent

Captain
Re: Stuarts Cable adjustment

Ok.......How about make, model and year?

denniz

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Im not sure who Stuart and Manuel are but you DONT cut a Cobra cable.. if thats what your getting at. They are precut to the proper length.

PT

Seaman

Nope never thought of cutting it till ya mentioned it & Manual not Manuel sry bout that. I took the drive back off & did it the way Stuart explains it.......Hers ya a link to it, gr8 info for anyone who has a cobra .......http://www.funkopolis.com:8080/~stuart/cobra/

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Having the exact same engine, I knew precisely who (Stuart Hastings - the hero of Cobra info) and what (the Cobra ESA adjustment) you wanted info about.<br /><br />Maybe a more general subject title would have helped these good folks respond....feel like we Cobra owners are becoming a cult :)

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

what stuart means is to adjust the shift rod height with the drive off. u have to remove the lower unit & split the upper & lower to access the shift rod. u can do it with the drive attached but it ain't easy & u need a helper to do it. don't cut the shift cable. if u need to adjust it again, {& u will, trust me} & take off too much yer out of luck. get a new gasket, there cheap.