stryker 18' 150gt

john200

Cadet
Hi this is my first post and after reading a bunch of miss placed post I am sure this is posted in the wrong place but I have a 1989 stryker 18' bass boat with a 1989 johnson 150gt outback when I bought the boat this spring one of the first things I did was a compression test it showed 95 on all 6 with a brand new gauge I took the boat out and ran it the guy I got it from said it was slow to plane that is no lye the prop is a 14x26 stainless steel after the test runs I got my friend and we went fishing with a full tank of gas 3 battery's my self and my friend and are fishing gear I had to have him get in the front of the boat to get it to plain and then had an issue with water in the gas got back on the trolling motor now the compression is 90-92 on all 6 and now I have 14x19 and i can pull it up on plain in a second or less and only a few seconds with a tube with a 270 pound man on it and even then my boat will over rev I know that my motor at wot should be 5500 and I have had it to 6000 and had a lot of throttle left but didn't want to see how much so any thoughts on what pitch to try and should i get a four blade or stay with a three blade

hwsiii

Commander
Re: stryker 18' 150gt

John,welcome to Iboats prop forum and we will try to help you as much as we can, but there is certain information that is needed in order to help you. The following form has all of the information that is needed to help you with your problems in finding the right prop. If you do not know all of the information that is asked for on the form please give us the most information you have available as I have a program I designed to find the right prop for any planing hull boat that needs this information, and most other people who are trying to help you will need the same information. It requires time to find all this information when we have to look for it and in my defense I expect you to be willing to expend as much effort in finding the right prop as I do. We hope to be able to help you get the exact prop you need for your particular uses, and this information is required to do that.
It is not as simple to pick the right prop as most people coming to this forum think it is, that is why we ask so many questions, it is for your benefit we ask all these questions. And if you have a stainless steel prop or are changing to one the blade geometry of the prop can make a lot of difference in speed and RPM.

Iboats Boat and Motor Info

1. Year, make and model of boat
2. Length, width and base weight of boat, look for boat decal on back of boat
3. Number of people and gallons of gas normally on boat
4. What do you use the boat for
5. Is it a Deep Vee and if so how many degrees of deadrise
6. Year, make and model of motor
7. HP and gear ratio of motor
8. Manufacturer?s recommended WOT range
9. Anti-ventilation Plate height above keel of boat if it is an outboard in inches
10. Does it have a hydrafoil or trim tabs
11. Make, model, diameter, pitch and whether SS or aluminum prop
11. WOT RPM and speed from prop, how much gas and how many people in boat for test data

The only thing I ask of you is to come back and give me a report of WOT RPM and speed for my database.

H

john200

Cadet

well I bought a turbo 2+2 4blade prop that is 13.3/4x24 it should be here by Monday. so I will try it and see, if not it was only 50 bucks on ebay. I don't know the speed of my boat I have to get a whole new speedo but I know that my motor will turn the full 5500 rpms

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Your target rpm, with todays fuel, is 5800 with an average load for best performance and longest engine life.

john200

Cadet

1. Year, make and model of boat
2. Length, width and base weight of boat, look for boat decal on back of boat
3. Number of people and gallons of gas normally on boat
4. What do you use the boat for
5. Is it a Deep Vee and if so how many degrees of deadrise
6. Year, make and model of motor
7. HP and gear ratio of motor
8. Manufacturer?s recommended WOT range
9. Anti-ventilation Plate height above keel of boat if it is an outboard in inches
10. Does it have a hydrafoil or trim tabs
11. Make, model, diameter, pitch and whether SS or aluminum prop
11. WOT RPM and speed from prop, how much gas and how many people in boat for test data

1. the boat is a 89 stryker the model I don't know? its fiberglass
2.18' long 6' wide and I don't know the weight
3.most of the time its 2 people and 25gallons of gas
4.well most of the time fishing but we do use it for tubing
5.looks like any other bass boat
6.89 johnson 150gt
7.150hp and gear ratio is 14:26
9.1 inch
10.no trim tabs or hydrofoil
11. ?
12. ?

hwsiii

Commander

You don't have any information on your wide open throttle and speed results. Or any RPM and speed figures.

H

john200

Cadet

my speedometer is broke
with the 14x19p prop I can get the full 5500 rpm's that the omc johnson evinrude manual states that I should be running wot at. I have run it up to 6000 rpm's with the 14x19p and still had a good 3rd of a throttle left. As far as what the 14x26p prop ran for rpm's, I don't know the tack was not working at that time but now I have fixed the tack and put on the 14x19p prop and just haven't run the 14x26p prop to see what the wot rpm is

junior1113

Senior Chief Petty Officer

you bought a turbo 4x24 thats an awfull lot of prop. worth a shot though. those props like to be close to surface to get best perfomance do you have a jack? if not where is cavition plate in relation to bottom of hull? turbo makes awsome props. i run an ultima 4 17p on this rig an love it. thinking that 24" 4 blade is going to be very similar to that 3x26. come back with results. thinking more like a 21p would be ideal. fyi i had to jack my motor 2"+ to get the turbo spining right. best props out there. run it at 5600-5800 to save your self from any problems.

hwsiii

Commander

John, run it with the new 24" pitch and give us wide open throttle RPM and the speed at that RPM.

H

john200

Cadet

I bought a new speed-o today but my boat must be to high out of the water for it to work so as far as getting a speed reading I will have to figure it out I hope I can before my new prop gets here
DSCN1984.jpg

junior1113

Senior Chief Petty Officer

take straight edge off very of bottom of boat to cavitation plate. is plate above bottom of boat and how much? this style boat with a pad should be like 2-3" above

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Normally a speed-o pick up will not work where you have it. If everything is right that part of the transom should be way out of the water when running at any decent speed. Most boats use a GPS anyway but if you need to mount the pick up on that type hull we use the ss pick up and mount it on an angle at the back of the pad so the end of the pick up is just to the right or left of the pad up.

john200

Cadet

got my props and the 23 works best for my boat thanks for all the help