Structurally sound (trolling motor mount) ???

JCMINIS

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am looking for advice on my bow rider trolling motor mount.Fishing days and water sports days I have to seperate(wife and 3 kids = lots of stuff).I am wanting to make a simple to add/remove trolling motor mount.My question is,are the rails strong enough if I put the mount directly over the up risers ? They seem solidly mounted,but I dont want to rip them off.I have seen many flush mounts,but im leary of sawing holes in my boat and really just dont want to.Please forgive the quick cheapish drawing.

The black would be a board,mounted via some u-bolts, and the red the trolling motor.Thoughts ??

As for a seat there is a big flat spot under this cushion(no storage) so I thought I could just use a flush mount pole seat type.I am open to any ideas.

Thanks JC

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Structurally sound (trolling motor mount) ???

my suggestion is to cut the bow rail at the green marks, mount a removable trolling motor on the bow, they have plates that go over the mounting bracket when operating without the motor. mount your seat in the area you are talking about is going to be awfully cramped. i suggest spending the money on a wireless controlled motor and that way you can fish from anywhere in the boat, and control the motor. i have one, it's the greatest addition to my boat, ever. also they way you want to mount would require a very long shaft motor. probably in the 70 in range, to operate correctly.

Attachments

• custommount2.jpg
    custommount2.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 0

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

do the cushions come out of those seats? regardless, fabricate a deck out of 3/8 exterior grade ply, all surfaces saturated with poly resin and 2 layers of fiberglass cloth on the top, 2x4 supports will work fine, fastened to the seat bases in some fashion that is easily installed & removed. Carpet or paint or not, as you see fit. Add a pedestal seat base, a pedestal and a seat.....way, way, way better than fishing from the floor.

Don't mount the T/M to the rail, no matter how solid it is, you'll be sorry after just one run through choppy water.

Here's another idea, I've shown the mounting pad (left on the deck when the motor's not installed) in royal blue, the stowed motor in light blue, and deployed in red.

custommount.jpg

Minn kota has some power-deployed units that raise & lower on the mount, rather than flold up on deck - I believe that's your only hope if you're hoping to avoid taking out some of the rail - and even then, you might not be able to.

Search for "isolator bolts" to find T/M mounting hardware - they're easy to use & don't require access below the deck.

Also don't forget you'll need a couple of marine deepcycle batteries (you're going to want a 24V motor for that boat) and a socket for the deck. Also a fishfinder for the deck.

JCMINIS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes good ideas,better than mine.I was trying to avoid cutting the rail but if I have to I have to,maby I could use some couplers to make it a quick disconnect.Or sharply curve it down to the bow.I like the idea for the deck,ole dad will be fishing from the front, wife and kids will fishing from the rear(dont wanna get hooked,,LOL)so moving around while fishing isnt to much of an issue.Might get to fish alone once in awhile but rare.
I have tried,but I cant sneak the boat out of the driveway without the truck being full of kids,wakeboards,the neighbors,etc.Maby once the new(to us) wears off I can go out fishing more.Thanks for the ideas.

JC

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Mount the motor with a quick release plate and the isolator bolts that was previously mentioned. Allows you to remove the motor in seconds for storage and prevents theft if the boat is stored outside.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

here's an example, although this boat does not have the rail, the motor would be inside the rail. loosen one bolt and unplug and it's off the boat. place cover over mount plate.

i just recently sold the boat, but kept the trolling motor. now mounted on another boat. this is my wireless.