"stripping paint off of our trailer"

JTGP2011

Cadet
What method have you used?

I am thinking of sand blasting the trailer......

Please post before and after pictures too, if you have some.

badkins50

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I recently just sand blasted mine and posted cost and pics as well. Let me see if u can find the link.

sent from my bolt using tapatalk

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: "stripping paint off of our trailer"

Can do sandwash on it. Check with equipment rental place if they have one. Power washer, with a sand pickup head. uses sand with it to remove and pit metal. Not as dirty as sandblasting because of the water but have only used it to do a boat bottom. Worked well.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

Can do sandwash on it. Check with equipment rental place if they have one. Power washer, with a sand pickup head. uses sand with it to remove and pit metal. Not as dirty as sandblasting because of the water but have only used it to do a boat bottom. Worked well.

I use this quite a lot and it would work very well. As stated it is cleaner, but it is also much faster than a typical home sandblasting unit. It also allows you to use regular sand instead of the more expensive silica free sand or blasting media. The sand has to be dry though. You can get away with it because there is no dust because of the water. The drawbacks are that it requires at least a 3000 psi 2.5 gpm pressure washer, and the nozzles are a bit expensive. I started making my own nozzles, but I have a lathe to do so. You can buy this setup at Northern tool for $60 http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_8520_8520

sprintst

Commander

I just finished mine and I sandblasted it. It gives the paint a nice surface to bite to. I used a 100 lb bad of sil 4 sand with the additive to keep the silica dust down to very low levels. I don't remember seeing any dust at all actually. I also used about 2.5 - 50 lb bags of copper slag. It tended to bung up my sandblasting unit but did a great job as well.

The pics will be at the end of my thread in my signature.

Evinbuck

Seaman

I used the time consuming way with all the following......paint stripper, wire brush and sanding discs on grinder, files and sandpaper. It's a successful technique so long as you have room, ventilation and lot's of spare time. Sandblasting or sandwashing is much faster but will cost more upfront. The end result is the same when you take the time doing the prep work.

Attachments

• trailer destruct 001.jpg
    trailer destruct 001.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 1

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I attempted to sand and wire wheel the trailer while the boat was still on the trailer. Then i called around and it's not too expensive to have someone sandblast the trailer. Mine was $125. So i dropped the boat in a slip for a week ($40) and went to town on the trailer. New bunk wood and carpet. New wheels and tires. I even ordered some decals for the trailer and tried my hand at pinstripes too. I think she looks pretty damn good!

2010-09-21_20-52-58_477.jpg2010-10-01_21-46-43_363.jpg2010-10-07_22-38-13_656.jpg

sprintst

Commander

If I could find someone for 125 to do the trailer then I would have run and not walked to that deal. If you can find someone to do the work for relatively cheap then I would go for it on a future trailer as the work was time consuming.

mwmike270

Cadet

I own a media blasting shop. I do both Plastic Media blasting and Choped Glass Blasting. Plastic is the fastest and cheapest on trailers but will not remove any rust, the Choped Glass is much better than any kind of sand as it is sharp and cuts the paint and rust off the substrate.

Typical trailers start at $100 and some go as high as 300 for large with many roller bars.

coating: its best to aply a epoxy with ether a Zinc Phosphate or Chromate in the epoxy, just read the lables... the Zinc is the best at Corrosion Resistance

having a shop do the blasting for you is the best way as you will not have to clean up any mess, you can do the more fun things like painting and detailing. I blast most trailers in under an hour. so you will be working for far less than minimum wage if you do it yourself. if your not striping it all the way then your not getting the best surface for the new paint.