Stripped gear shift rod

Backcountry

Cadet
I have a gear shift rod that is stripped where it joins the gear shift extension rod. Result is that the screw that passes through the extension rod doesn't stay connected to the shift rod.

Has anyone ever had this happen? I'm figuring a simple fix would be to go to a longer screw and secure with a nut on the other side. Any drawback to doing this?

Thx,

BC

maxum247

Lieutenant
Re: Stripped gear shift rod

Can you drill the hole a little bigger, retap the threads and use a size larger bolt?
If all fails you probably could use the method you described but there would be a greater chance of it dropping the nut and leaving you in the position your in now.:(

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer

Can you drill the hole a little bigger, retap the threads and use a size larger bolt?
If all fails you probably could use the method you described but there would be a greater chance of it dropping the nut and leaving you in the position your in now.:(
Ahh Blue locktite Gods 4th gift to manhood, right in there with bailing wire, duct tape & seal all.

Backcountry

Cadet

May go the locktite route. I'll let y'all know how I make out. Thanks for the suggestions.

BC

Backcountry

Cadet

Upon further inspection, I had put screw in backwards (wrong rod first). So the shift rod wasn't stripped after all!!!

Thx,

BC

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer

Upon further inspection, I had put screw in backwards (wrong rod first). So the shift rod wasn't stripped after all!!!

Thx,

BC
Yeh! thats what makes boating fun. I would still use the loctite though.