Stripped everything off for transom replacement, now what?

mguidry629

Seaman
1st Post....probably not the last

1987 Chris Craft 230 Limited with Mercruiser 5.7 / Alpha One (265HP I think)

I've had the boat for about a year. Bought it from my wife's grandfather....so I know a little history on it. I knew it needed a transom, but didn't realize how rotten it was until I got it home. The boat hasn't seen water in 3-4 years, but it was running great at that time. He stopped running it because it was leaking at the transom. I've cranked the engine several times on the muffs, just never wanted to take the chance of putting it in the water with the rotten transom.

Well I've finally saved up the coin to get the transom done. I stripped the motor/outdrive out myself to save a few bucks. After completely removing everything near the transom, I dropped the boat off at the shop Monday, so now I'm trying to get a plan for when I get the boat back.

I'm confident I can put everything back the way it was, but I know there's more to it.....and that's why I'm here. Maintenance wise, I'm hoping someone can provide me a list of what to check/replace before I put everything back in the boat. What all should the average boat guy (me) do and what should be done by a professional? Where should I buy parts like impeller, gaskets, bellows, etc. There are kits on ebay (waterpump/impeller kit and bellows/gimbal bearing kit); any reviews on those kits? Or should I get everything from Mercury?

The gimbal bearing, bellows, and some other parts were replaced not too long before it sat up. Do I need to replace all these again?

haulnazz15

Captain
Re: Stripped everything off for transom replacement, now what?

I would be replacing anything rubber on the engine (coolant/fuel lines) and new gimbal bearing/bellows. I would be replacing the water pump/impeller in the drive, as well as new drive lube. You can buy anything you need from www.iboats.com, www.mercstuff.com, or www.ebasicpower.com. I wold also be doing a compression/leakdown test at a minimum to make sure the engine is in good enough condition to put back into the boat. Full tune-up including plugs, rotor/points, etc on the engine as well.

mguidry629

Seaman

Thanks for the reply......All the coolant lines are in good shape, motor is in good running condition, no tune up needed. I know about motor maintentance and all that. I just don't know much about outdrives since every other boat I've owned has had an outboard. The impeller is a given.

Anyone have any opinions on the ebay stuff?

What should I do and what should be left to the professionals? Can I install everything except the outdrive and bring it to a shop to get the motor in alignment? I know you need an alignment tool for that, so is there anything else I might run into that requires a special tool when it all goes back together?

Will Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

With the motor out, I would change the coupler on the motor. You do not want to have to pull the motor again in the near future. Make sure you put a new gasket on the gimbal housing. I would change the bellows, gimbal bearing etc. as the rubber may have gotten dry cracked sitting for a few years. From my experience, the bellows are usually good for about 5 years. I would also change the 2 lower thru-transom bolts which has anodes on the outside. These bolts are not SS and (I think) aluminum.

haulnazz15

Captain

The alignment bars can be purchased relatively cheaply. You can install the drive and everything else yourself. Don't forget to install/replace the exhaust flappers in the y-tube as well. Make sure you replace the entire water pump assembly in the drive, not just the impeller, it's worth it for peace of mind, and only costs another $10 over buying just the impeller. No other special tools needed other than basic hand-tools unless you're going to start tearing into the drive gears. The bellows/gimbal bearing are really the only major outdrive items to make sure you do.

haulnazz15

Captain

With the motor out, I would change the coupler on the motor. You do not want to have to pull the motor again in the near future.

While I'm all for replacing things "while your in there", the coupler is a $200 part that rarely fails unless the engine is out of alignment or the drive locked up. The coupler should be visually inspected, but there's no reason to replace it unless you suspect it is damaged. I'm running on the original coupler in my boat, and it's got 35+ years on it.

mguidry629

Seaman

The boat actually came with the 2 lower bolts, brand new, because he thought that would fix the leak, but he never installed them. So I'm good there. I've included a few links below for items to purchase. I'd like to order today so I can have everything before next weekend. Check out the links and let me know if all this will work with my application (87 Alpha one, gen one).

Water Pump Kit:
http://www.iboats.com/Water-Pump-Ki...7303840--session_id.296955312--view_id.187581

Transom Seal Kit:
http://www.iboats.com/Transom-Seal-...7303840--session_id.296955312--view_id.172480

Alignment Tool / Gimbal Bearing Tool
http://www.ebay.com/itm/270697044916

The exhaust flappers are relatively expensive. How important is it to get new ones? Do they serve any other purpose besides keeping water out?

haulnazz15

Captain

Well, keeping the water out of your engine is kind of an important thing. The exhaust shutters are only about $20, so maybe you looked up the wrong part. Saves a $2000 mistake from a hydrolocked engine. As far as the transom seal kits, I would opt for the one with the water tubes and the exhaust tube (instead of the exhaust bellows). The exhaust tube is much easier to install than the bellows-version.

mguidry629

Seaman

Well, keeping the water out of your engine is kind of an important thing. The exhaust shutters are only about $20, so maybe you looked up the wrong part. Saves a $2000 mistake from a hydrolocked engine. As far as the transom seal kits, I would opt for the one with the water tubes and the exhaust tube (instead of the exhaust bellows). The exhaust tube is much easier to install than the bellows-version.

I agree and thanks. I was just wondering if they served another purpose. I must have looked at the wrong part because I was seeing prices from $60-80 Each. Anyone have a part number or have a link?