Stringer trim and tilt

I have a 1976 stringer outdrive that wont trim up or down. When you pull the toggle switch either up or down the unit clicks. When it is pushed to go up the unit acts like it would go up but it is at the top right now. What would be the best way to get it working again. I checked the fluid in the side on the outdrive and it was full of water. I ordered a new gasket and oring. Thanks for the help.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Stringer trim and tilt

FM #1, are you talking about the tilt motor? if so, it sounds like your tilt solenoids are working, so it's probably the motor. Expensive little buggers but they are pretty durable. It could be full of water and or the brushes are worn and or hung up or the commutator could be a cruded up.<br /><br />First disconnect the lead and check it with a volt meter when you activate the switch. If that is ok then remove the motor (two long bolts which also hold the motor together) clean it up, check and replace the brushes and if it was wet, drill a small hole in the bottom of the housing so any future water will drain right out.

Re: Stringer trim and tilt

Thanks for the help. The tilt motor is the one im talking about. The boat has sat over the winter. I have looked at it and gave it some thought. They sure hid it down there. I do have one of the motors off another engine that i can use it works i checked it on a battery and it runs both ways. Im gonna first try to tap on the motor and if that doesnt work i guess it will be time for me to put on my sergon gloves and get dirty. Thanks again and take care.