Stringer to Cobra..

catfishrich

Cadet
I was wanting to know if I can change my 165 hp inline 6 over from a stringer to a newer cobra unit? What all would I need?
Thanks.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Stringer to Cobra..

I was wanting to know if I can change my 165 hp inline 6 over from a stringer to a newer cobra unit? What all would I need?
Thanks.

Howdy,

Welcome aboard!

You'll need another complete engine/transom-mount/drive system.

Also, you'll need to completely replace your transom and rebuild the stringers/engine mounting to accommodate the completely different engine mounting system.

In general, it won't be worth it. You would have more money in the boat than it can ever be worth.

Your best bet will be to take the money you would spend on the rebuild and buy yourself a boat already set up the way you want. (And I would avoid any boat with the letters OMC in the add)

Regards,

Rick

southkogs

Staff member

LOL - short version: a new boat. :) I've got the same engine as you.

Welcome aboard.

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks.

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... Ya need Everything from the Pulleys, to the Prop, 'n 'bout 5 gallons of fiberglass resin...

catfishrich

Cadet

Ok simple enough thanks for the replies. Im already replacing the stringers and floor, the transom is solid so its staying a Stringer. Im working on a 1976 18' Arrow Glass Riviera. The hull is nice I hit it with some 3M high cut and the buffer, it will polish up nice. It runs, the ball gears are going to need to be replaced and other than that I dont know what else... Its my early winter project. I dont know alot about the brand, where they a good boat in their day?

Thanks again,
Rich

I also have a 1972 15' MFG Gypsy with a 76' 85hp Johnson on the back, that I use every weekend + a day here and there. It had some minor issues when I got it but its all taken care of for the most part.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Its my early winter project. I dont know alot about the brand, where they a good boat in their day?
Yeah, you could say they were. The Cobra that was in my boat went almost 20 years without major troubles.

Problem now is that OMC went out of business almost 15 years ago......a LOT of show-stopper parts are no longer available for some models and this will get worse as time goes on.

The best bet is to use what you have as long as you can economically, but don't put too much time and effort it it.