stringer 400 impeller replacement. got the chunk out. now what

aristocraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So i Took the outdrive off the boat, and then too the foot and exhaust off of the upper, then removed the 4 bolts and with some persuading the chunk came out with the ggear on top. I can see the impeller under the plate, and its destroyed, so thats good news, this is not for nothing...

So at this point how in the heck do i get to the impeller. is the lower shaft just pressed in and needs to be pulled out? I do not have my manual here so have been flying by the seat of my pants.

Thanks for any help

CobiaXL

Banned
Re: stringer 400 impeller replacement. got the chunk out. now what

pull on shaft to remove or turn over and use something like a punch or screwdriver to beat housing out.

aristocraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think the shaft piece has to come out. Because when i took the four big bolts out, I got the big chunk out (and got gear oil everywhere) but the shaft is still in the bottom that is holding the thin metal plate on that covers the impeller itself.
so i will go try to persuade that out.

CobiaXL

Banned

ON the bottom of housing is 2 maybe 3 holes where u can get a punch into and hit lightly with hammer to break the seal.Replace housing along with impeller as well.

aristocraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class

here is a picture of where i am at.

Edit: just saw your last post. Thanks for the help, I will go look now.

Attachments

• impeller.jpg
    impeller.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 0

superbenk

Commander

There's usually some gasket maker sealing the plate to the pump housing that can make the two stick together. Some persuasion should get them apart. Be really careful with those thin metal shims. If you damage them at all you'll need a special tool to properly measure and replace them. If you don't have proper shimming, it will wear the gears wrong and damage the drive.

Here some pics from when I did my impeller last spring:

http://picasaweb.google.com/superbenk/ImpellerReplacement#