Strange question. Lower Unit. V8 OMC.

kameika

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Everyone. Maybe you can help.

I have a Hydraulics problem for a Seadrive. So I bought a whole, new, OMC seadrive 4.0 liter.

It was expensive. But I got the parts I need.

Now I have a lower unit from a V-8 4-liter. I pressure tested it. Perfect. A small nick on the skeg. It is a great lower unit. OMC part number 431961 ("Gearcase Assy, Complete")

Guess what? The lower unit does not fit my V6 2.7L.

SO THE QUESTION:

What is the V8 lower unit worth? What is it compatible with?

I need to ebay this thing -- or similar. I am just trying to recover some of the cost of my investment.

Ideas?

D

DJ

Re: Strange question. Lower Unit. V8 OMC.

Dhadley will be along, probably tomorrow.

He's forgotten more about those than most of us ever knew. A real expert.

MarkV_Deep6

Petty Officer 1st Class

There's one on ebay now for about 295.00. I've seen them as high as 800.00 asking price. The problem is finding someone like me that still uses a V8. Is this for a 22" lower or a 27." If it is a short shaft the guys a Scream and Fly may want it.
I know I have read that a V6 lower is adaptable to a V8. (same bolt pattern) Is the shaft the reason you can't use it?

kameika

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, I measured it from the base of the water pump to the top of the spline: About 26.75" in total. I guess that makes it a 27".

Is this the correct way to measure this?

That is about the same as my V6 lower unit.

To answer your question: My V6 looper (2.7L) has an entirely different design between the lower unit and the mid-channel. The exhaust channel does not properly mate.

The lower unit I have (to sell) is from a V8 4.0L. Supposedly, it is good to > 300HP. My smaller engine is rated at a mere 225HP.

The real downer for me: I kind of wanted a spare lower unit. Especially since this 4.0 L one was used in fresh water.

flabum

Chief Petty Officer

The S&F crowd uses short shaft stuff, but someone ther may still be interested in it if it is solid...all they have to do is change the shafts.

Put it on E-Bay for $800 - $1,000 and on any free sites you can.

kameika

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow. $800 and $1000?

I am only trying to cover the costs of my acquisition. If I got $400, I'd be thrilled.

Question: What is S&F?

kameika

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ohhhh! Scream and Fly! I get it.

All I can say is this: Someday, if I keep it up; I may have the last damn Seadrive in the world. It is cannibal mode for seadrives. Bad ones die to keep good ones alive.

Too bad OMC started shipping these things before they were cooked in the early 80's..

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The V8 unit should fit on a V6 with no problem. We've switched them before to get different gear ratios.

Have you tried to put it on or just measured?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Isn't "OMC part number 431961" a counter rotating drive?

kameika

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi!

I did not actually try to "mate" the V8 lower unit to the power head. What I did do is check the "exhaust housing" from the stock V6 engine onto the V8 lower unit. The footprint was "different."

Question: Does this mean if I pull the V8 exhaust housing and put it on the V6 engine, I can use the V8 lower unit on the V6??

I have not disassembled the mid-section yet. I'll do that this weekend. I expect the exhaust housing to be in good condition, though.

STANDARD rotation versus COUNTER rotation:

I made a mistake. I believe the part number is 398125 -- STANDARD rotation. I wrote the wrong number down.. The number is NOT 431961 counter rotating. Sorry about that.

That was an excellent catch!

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

FYI,there was a guy on ebay with a NEW old stock seadrive unit ,less powerhead and gearcase,just the unit for $695.I have a good tilt ram if your interested,let me know

kameika

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Gee, Mikesea. I wish I knew you a week ago. I bought the rig because I have a good powerhead, and all that jazz. I only needed that tilt/trip cylinder.

My hope is to do the following:

Sell the lower unit, the power steering pump, the hydraulic steering rams, and possibly some of the pressure fittings. Keep the zincs, the tilt+trim valve body, the hydraulic tilt/trip ram and pressure lines.

I don't know if there is any value in the seadrive BODY.

I need only to recover most of my investment--as I only needed those dreaded hydraulics.

Any idea? Do you think the actual value of the body is anything beyond scrap?

Since the whole thing is made of aluminum, I would be inclined to recycle it. It's probably 200+ pounds of aluminum casting.

I very much invite your collective opinion.

MarkV_Deep6

Petty Officer 1st Class

As a wise man once said; one man's trash is another mans treasure. What will it cost you to post on ebay or craigs list? Someone out there right now, is probably searching for those parts...He he.
You just want to recover investment right? Post them up for no reserve auction (In the spring.) You should be able to recover quite a bit. Might even make a little extra.