Strange liquid coming out of lower area..

pvisser

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello.<br /><br />I have a 1966 80HP Johnson Super Sea-Horse Electromatic outboard<br /><br />I have a strange coloured liquid coming out of the bottom (See picture below). Does any one have any Idea where this is coming from? I have changed the lower prop shaft seal, and O ring already.<br /><br />
April%2014,2003.jpg
<br /><br />I also have the shop manual for this motor. Is there an easy fix to the problem I may have? Or is this normal?<br /><br />Thanks again..

KennyKenCan

Commander
Re: Strange liquid coming out of lower area..

It appears to me that there is water intrusion in the gearcase.<br /><br />Did you change all of the seals?<br /><br />Make sure the seals around the water pump are in good condition.

zoltar

Seaman Apprentice

Major mayonaisse! Water is getting into the oil in the lower unit. You should replace all seals then do a pressure test.<br /><br />ZM

pvisser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How many seals are ther that I need to change?<br /><br />The bottom 2 have been done, that is the O ring and prop shaft seal.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Pvisser<br />Looks like lower unit oil with water in it. My question is where is it comming out at?? <br />The picture looks like you might have a crack in the gear gase.<br />Is it coming out right where picture makes it look like. Can you tell where it coming out?? <br />If it is where picture makes it look like then doing a reseal will not help. A leak that bad should be easy to find.<br />Where the oil is coming out is also where the water is getting in.

KennyKenCan

Commander

pvisser,<br /><br />It appears that this lower unit may be in need of a rebuild.<br /><br />Judging from the photo, it appears that you may have more than just a seal problem.<br /><br />Could be cracked lower unit or damaged water pump leaking into the gearcase.<br /><br />I would do a complete teardown of this gearcase and reseal and pressure test.<br /><br />If you think this is beyond your ability, then take it to a repair shop.<br /><br />This should not be all that expensive, unless of coarse the gearcase is cracked, whereas you will either need to get a new case or possibly have yours welded.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Paul - Suggest that you do not go into that gearcase without a manual.

John Reynolds

Petty Officer 1st Class

Three days ago I had a strange liquid comming out of my lower area . . . .

pvisser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I replaed the impeller, and all seals around the water pump. Going to take it to the lake again.. We'll see if I still get the goo coming out. And yes I doo have a shop manual!<br /><br />Thanks for all yer help thus far.

sean6634

Cadet

I just had the lower part of my Mercury rebuilt. The mechanic was very insistant tokeep checking for oil leaks. I wouldn't take it to the lake until you have it fixed. If it's leaking oil you going to damage other parts.