Strange engine problem...

asbennett

Seaman
Hi all - need help. My 1979 55 HP Chrysler outboard is acting up. I put it on the water and ran WOT for about 15 minutes with no problems - then the engine started to die. It will run fine if I back down to an idle. I wait a few minutes and try again. This time it starts to die after 2-3 minutes. The unit is pumping water and does not appear to be overheating. The engine does not sound like it is "bogging" down. It sounds more like it is missing - possibly a fuel or electrical problem. Any ideas on where and what to look for?<br /><br />Thanks!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Strange engine problem...

Howdy, Stringer.<br /><br />The first place I would look is at the tank venting.<br /><br />Next I would look for a hot failure in the ignition system.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm wondering if your fuel pump diaphragm is failing.

CHARGER

Seaman

yeah its either over heating or your tank venting is up the creek.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Have you checked your gearlube? Could be a gearcase problem. The upper driveshaft bearing is a brass bushing. If it is ever run low on lube, the brass swells against the driveshaft. It'll release when it cools down only to get snug when things warm-up again. Unfortunately this usually galls the shaft making it necessary to replace it. Something to consider.

asbennett

Seaman

I put in a new gas tank and fuel lines and connectors. The gear lube was changed and looked fine (filled from bottum up). After running with the new tank the problem still occurs. As a test - when the engine starts to die I have someone squeeze the primer bulb and the motor continues to run? Maybe a fuel problem? How do these motors get fue to them? A pump?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I'm betting on a bad ignition coil, the fails when it heats up.

asbennett

Seaman

Ok - Educate me on the outboards. My inboard 4 Cyl. had this same problem and it was the coil - that one was easy for me to replace. Where is the coil on the outboard?

asbennett

Seaman

Question - Would this be a coil problem if when the engine starts to die and I squeeze the primer buld the engine continues to run? Sounds more like a fuel problem - but where?

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

If you pump the primer bulb and it picks up again, it is a fuel issue. Rebuild the fuel pump and if it has been a while, rebuild the carbs too.<br /><br />Ken

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

You've obviously nailed to down to a fuel problem. If it starts to die, and you pump the primer bulb and the problem goes away, then your engine is obviously starving for fuel at WOT.<br /><br />The fuel pump is usually located directly on the side of the outboard, you can follow your fuel line in and find it.<br /><br />Most are a 2-stage pump that work off fluctuating cylinder pressure. The cylinder pressure is separated from the fuel passage by a small rubber diaphram. Negative pressure (vacuum) pulls on the rubber diaphram, which pulls fuel in through a one-way valve into a little chamber. Then, when that same cylinder has POSITIVE pressure, it pushes on the diaphram, which forces the fuel OUT of the chamber through another one-way valve out to the carbs. Negative cylinder pressure starts the process all over again.<br /><br />My bet says that your fuel pump is going bad and it can't keep up with the fuel demand and WOT. They are simple to rebuilt, and the gaskets and diaphram shouldn't run more than a few bucks. A repair manual will walk you through the entire process. If have enough mechanical knowledge to change your own oil, you can certainly rebuild your own fuel pump with the aid of a repair manual, they truly are that simple.

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think that the fuel pump kit from NAPA comes with instructions.