Straight running?????

Jacques Nel

Cadet
I need to adjust the little disc containing the fin located above the prop so I can run straight under power. It is corroded and am told it should be so!!! Do I just twist it or are there some locking nuts nearby that I cannot see? :confused: :confused:

schaiss

Seaman
Re: Straight running?????

That is called an ANODE. Electrolysis is a process where metals exposed to variable electric potentials (your engine in water) will cause the metals to erode. Your engine should have the one you mentioned, as well as another one on the bottom of the engine mount lacated on the transom of the boat. If it is badlr erroded it should be replaced (about $10). There should be a bolt holding it on to the engine. try looking above the anode, you may find the head of the bolt there, loosen it, move the anode slight opposite to the direction of the prop rotation, and tighten. It may take a few tries. If the anode looks more than 25% erroded, replace it. It is a lot cheaper than a new prop or other Lower unit parts!

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like you want to adjust the trim tab(Fin). Look underneath the fin. There is a bolt to loosen it up so you can swivel it.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

BTW, move the tab in small increments in the helm direction. i.e., if the boat tends to go to port, move the tab to port or the opposite if the boat has starboard helm. Result should be tested at ~ 4000 RPM and WOT for neutral helm.