Storms in the Midwest

Carphunter

Commander
Hope everyone had a safe holiday weekend.<br /><br />Around where I live, we had some of the worst storms I have ever witnessed. Thursday evening, a storm with multiple Tornadoes moved through our area. Our power was knocked out for 23 hours. I live in the woods, and I had multiple trees blown down to the ground, exposing the roots. Luckily, for my family and I, nothing hit the house.<br /><br />The next day, I drove around many of the backroads, and it looked like a war zone. I have never witnessed wind damage on such a large scale......................that is until Sunday. Another storm moved through our area with several more serious Tornadoes. The small town of Marengo seemed to suffer the most. It is estimated that 80% of the town experienced some sort of damage, and that 50 to 60% of the town is completely destroyed.<br />My Grandmother lives right in the town, but made it out ok. They had evacuated her, and many other people to one of the local schools.<br /> I have never witnessed such destruction in my life. Beautiful homes absolutely destroyed. Huge trees, that two men could not wrap their arms around, were twisted off waist high. Cars thrown 300 feet. Telephone poles laying on their sides. It was a scary sight, to say the least.<br /><br />Many good folks lost almost everything in the blink of an eye. If you all don't mind, I ask that maybe you keep some of these folks in your prayers. Thanks.<br /><br />I guess thats life in the Midwest though.<br /><br />Remember to count your blessings. :)

ehenry

Commander
Re: Storms in the Midwest

Hey, Carppy...we got beat up pretty bad here this morning. Hail, and funnel clouds, however none of the tornadoes touched down. There was one spectacular lightning show while I was driving in to work.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

You are in my prayers. <br /> My Dad's hometown, Stockton, Missouri got alot of damage last year from some terrible tornadoes. Very sad! We used to go there every summer growing up. Pictures after the storm were unrecognizable. You midwest people are sure tough,though, because you just pick up and start over. That's community! <br /> My aunt who lives in Kansas says she'd rather live there than California because earthquakes scare her more than tornadoes. I don't see that, but that's the way she sees it. Yep, you Midwesterners sure are a tough group. <br />Bassy

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Hey Bassy Im just south of Stockton and they have had a couple tornados this year up in that area. I do not believe that they were of the magnatude as last years though.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

AUGH!!<br /><br />One real biggie left here about 1.5 hours ago(power just returned) and is now raising sand in Dallas-Ft. Worth.<br /><br />Been in a LOT of storms in my life but never felt as though I had dodged a bullet by inches before.<br /><br />Several funnels formed within a few hundred yards of my house . . . One right overhead!! There was enough light so that I could watch them form but. . . . . none of them touched down. :) Winds picked up my tool shed and dropped it in the field about 300 yards away. It looks like a rolled up ball of roofing. Glad it was empty. Got about 3" of rain mixed with hail up to ping pong ball size in 45 minutes.<br /><br />All is calm now. Don't know how much damage, but the house is okay. I will know more in the morning.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

So glad you're okay JB. Wow, this weather is hitting alot of areas this year. Be careful everyone out there.<br />Bassy

tylerin

Commander

My thoughts are with you guys. Glad to hear you're ok. Carp, sorry to hear about the devastation in your town

gaugeguy

Captain

Glad you and yours made it through without a scratch Carp. I've been through lots of hurricanes, and I just can't fathom the devastation of a twister.

ChrisMcLaughlin

Petty Officer 1st Class

We get alot of hurricanes here but we have days to prepare. I am glad you guys are OK.

rwise

Captain

A while back a twister took the tops out of several trees in the front yard just missed our home! Looks like there getting bigger and more aften!

Carphunter

Commander

Thanks for the well wishes folks.<br /><br />Glad to hear your ok also JB.<br /><br />Well, you ain't gonna believe this, last night another storm moved through our area, multiple funnel clouds were spotted, but no confirmed touch downs. Serious wind damage in several of the surrounding towns. Again, (knock on wood), we seemed to have dodged a bullet. This is some of the craziest weather I have ever seen.<br /><br />It was really strange last night, I was outside, and the temperature was around 80 degrees, in a matter of seconds, the temperature dropped 15 degrees. No wonder all of these tornadoes are forming.<br /><br />All this crazy weather..........and the Pacers lost...........Its the end of the world I tell ya! :p

tylerin

Commander

As much as I'd like to give you some crap this morning I wish you and your family the best. Take care Carp

gonfishn

Commander

Southern Ohio has been slammed pretty hard the last week...Alot of high winds and some tornados within ten miles of my home..I knew it was bad when I had to rescue one of the cats who was clinging to a tree and flapping in the wind like a flag.. :D

Carphunter

Commander

Tylerin said;<br />as much as I would like to give you some crap this morning
Man, I was gettin all excited, I thought you said you was gonna give me some carp this morning. :p <br /><br />Now see, I thought you guys would say something like, "Hey Carpy, guess its time to get those Ruby slippers out of your closet". :D <br /><br />Don't you be goin soft on me now Tylerin!<br />(Boy, the comments I could make concerning that sentence). :p <br /><br />.......anyway, thanks for the concern buddy, were doin fine ........so far.

oddjob

Commander

Glad all (I hope) are ok.. I thought of you folks last night when I saw the news.

rwise

Captain

80 to 100 mph winds went through here last night! Trees and power lines down all over the place. Started in Kansas, came through Oklahoma, then through Texas, and exit to the gulf!

BrianFD

Senior Chief Petty Officer

AEP-Tulsa shows to have 125,737 customers without power. BTDT, though, and they'll get the lights back on as soon as possible. To those of you in that neck of the woods, you have my thoughts & prayers!

Carphunter

Commander

rwise, hope everybody's ok over your way.<br /><br />Just read the local paper here this morning, Sunday's storm that passed through southern Indiana produced 19 confirmed tornadoes. :eek: <br /><br />Starting to sound like the movie, "The Day After Tomorrow". ;)

rwise

Captain

it has been a year for tornadoes, thats for sure. Every one my way is fine, the brother-in-law has a tree trough his roof. 4 twisters passed within 4 miles of me over the weekend. I for one will be glad when the weather calms down a bit! Have not seen the movie yet, to busy watching storms!<br /><br />My power was out for about 4 hours or so, and school is closed in Tulsa. with only 2 days to go and finals and all!