storing the boat seats for the winter

jimdogg1269

Cadet
seems like every year i winterize the boat and cover it up for the winter, i get it out come spring time and have to spend hours trying to clean the mildew off the seats,, do u guys know of anything i can put on them when i winterize to keep them from mildewing the winter?

thanks jim

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: storing the boat seats for the winter

I have done it both ways, however, my boat never sits as long as yours does being winterized. It might sit a month tops, and that is just because we are busy with other things. I used to put 4 of the large damprid canisters in there. I have also stored all the removable cushions in a spare bedroom, but that was when I was putting an engine in. More to keep them from getting damaged or greasy than mold though.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

if you are getting mildew, you are getting moisture...... things to consider.... treat your cover with waterproofing spray..... make sure it is supported such that water isn't pooling.... make sure you have ventilation.... forced if need be

I once knew of a fellow who ran a 3" insulated flexible duct from his house furnace into his boat to keep it fresh and dry

NYBo

Admiral

Your problem is a lack of ventilation, as noted above.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

I assume this wont work for all the vinyl, but I like to take my canvas, cushions and anything else home and store it inside. This along with doing what you can to keep moisture out of the boat for the non removable vinyl, should cut your cleaning time down a lot.

Leardriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

I always keep the seats and outdrive in the basement if I can.