Stored '99 FICHT/maintenance before use?

ackman

Seaman Apprentice
I'm looking at a boat that has a '99 Evinrude 200 HP FICHT, 200+ hrs, last used regularly in 2002. With no tech service options in my area I will definately re-power this boat if I buy it.<br /><br />The boat broker seems unconcerned about any PM to this OB previous to us taking the boat for a pre-sale ride. From what I know about this motor and unused OB's in general, fresh fuel should be used after the old fuel is drained, new filters should be installed, and the mix oil tanks should be emptied of the old oil and cleaned/purged as well. <br /><br />I want to be able to sell this motor, not causing any harm to it during the hour it will be used. Should I insist on PM as described above?

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: Stored '99 FICHT/maintenance before use?

It's going to be hard selling any motor that sat that long,and you are only giving it a shake down cruise,unless you sell it AS IS.Actually you are pretty much buying it that way.<br /><br />Any chance of buying it without the motor,the boat broker selling the motor for you (with his back up),or him giving you some kind of warranty (say 3 months)?<br /><br />DHP

ackman

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the reply. I am going to make an offer based on zero OB value: the dealer can keep the motor or I'll give him whatever $ I get for it. But I still need a boat ride, so I guess it's up to him to lay-out for the shop work needed previous to use.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Must be a boat you really want ?And want enough to buy and repower ?Do you plan to put a 2006 motor on a 1999 hull ?There are lots of boats out there w/o engines.<br /><br />DHP

ackman

Seaman Apprentice

Good deal on hull and newer aluminum trailer. I'll repower w. a newer used OB w. some warranty left.