Storage safety?

IHDiesel73L

Seaman
I see that the Lehr engines can run either off of a 1lb bottle that is contained within the cowling of the engine, but that they can also be run from a BBQ style tank for greater range. How can that be done safely in a boat? Does the BBQ tank have to be mounted somewhere outside the hull?

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: Storage safety?

Propane is one of the most stable fuels out there. Higher flash/flame point than gasoline, higher explosive limit that gasoline, and a tougher container than gasoline requires (plastic....really?!?)

Propane tanks can be ruptured without causing ignition. Aluminum tanks don't spark. You can actually shoot them with a gun and not cause an explosion (as long as you're not firing incindary rounds). There have been propane fueled vehicles on the roads for decades.

It is a very stable fuel in everything from liquid to gas form.

IHDiesel73L

Seaman

Propane is one of the most stable fuels out there. Higher flash/flame point than gasoline, higher explosive limit that gasoline, and a tougher container than gasoline requires (plastic....really?!?)

Propane tanks can be ruptured without causing ignition. Aluminum tanks don't spark. You can actually shoot them with a gun and not cause an explosion (as long as you're not firing incindary rounds). There have been propane fueled vehicles on the roads for decades.

It is a very stable fuel in everything from liquid to gas form.

Sure, that I know, but I've always thought that the main issue with propane and boats is the fact that it's heavier than air and should their be a leak it will not simply evaporate, but rather it will collect in the lowest part of the boat. Granted I'm talking about an open top 16' jon type boat, but still...

G

I really was considering buying the lehr 5hp but the negative reviews are really pushing me in a different direction. From oil stain in the box, to oil screw and washer problems, cheap cowl, idle issues, carb problems and flimsy wires. Is there anything that's positive about this engine? I wouldn't want to spend 1800 bux and get stuck!

IHDiesel73L

Seaman

I really was considering buying the lehr 5hp but the negative reviews are really pushing me in a different direction. From oil stain in the box, to oil screw and washer problems, cheap cowl, idle issues, carb problems and flimsy wires. Is there anything that's positive about this engine? I wouldn't want to spend 1800 bux and get stuck!

I'm not so much interested in the engine itself, but rather the idea of using propane as fuel for an outboard in general. Converting a four stroke to propane use is relatively easy, but the issue of safe storage is a concern.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I'm not so much interested in the engine itself, but rather the idea of using propane as fuel for an outboard in general. Converting a four stroke to propane use is relatively easy, but the issue of safe storage is a concern.

After looking at one over at West Marine, I agree.

The quality of the engine is not up to what we're used to seeing in Mercury, BRP, Yamaha, Tohatsu/Nissan etc.

I like the idea of propane..... but for my little Zodiac for example, there is NO propane fuel tank that is as convenient as the polyethylene trapezoidal shape that fits perfectly in the bow of my inflatable.

Also since it holds 5 gallons and will run for DAYS on it, having to carry several little 1lb containers would drive me NUTS! An equivalent steel or aluminum tank would weigh MUCH more and doesn't exist.

I too would be more interested in a propane conversion for my Tohatsu if I wanted to do it at all.

phillnjack2

Ensign

as for the original post about safety.
lpg tanks are far superior to petrol or diesel tanks.
for over half a centuary people have used lpg for cooking in boats ,heating in boats and for running the engines in boats.

the fuel pipe used for lpg is more often much better grade than the fuel pipe for petrol, and in a open boat the fumes of the gas would escape the exact same way as petrol fumes if a leak did arise.
most fuel tanks for lpg also have safety solenoids to shut off the tank if a leak in a pipe should arise too.

I have had a car run on lpg for over 10 years with no fuel pipe problems at all, the fuel tank for the lpg was still 100% safe after 10 years of daily use.
the petrol tank on the same car developed a leak after 8 years and leaked petrol onto the road when I was travelling.
now the petrol leak could of easily caused me to have my car explode if a simple spark had hit the trail of petrol left behind my vehicle.
if on the other hand it had been the gas tank, then the fumes would of evaporated leaving no trace for a following flame to catch the car.

Now in a boat. do we have a bilge full of petrol or a bilge full of lpg ? both would be the same if we through a match into it kaboom.
but the chances of fracturing a lpg tank is almost zero.
Look at the average calor or propane bottle that is around the size of a 5 gallon tank, they are built very very strong, nothing like
a plastic/poly petrol tank, even when made of steel petrol and diesel tanks are very thin and often rust and leak.

we have lots of small under 10hp engines that have their own petrol tank, but today they all seem to be made of some kind of plastic that is not flame proof or even flame retardant.
recently I deliberately experimented on a plastic type outboard fuel tank that was under the lid of a 4hp mercury engine.

a lighted cigarette will go through the plastic, yes not even a flame just red hot tobacco will penetrate it.
Now if there was a fire under the hood that would cause the petrol to explode for sure, so is that a safe source of carrying fuel NO.

I think under extreme stupidity any type of fuel can be considered dangerous, but under normal everyday circumstances the carrying of lpg in a boat is far safer than petrol or even diesel.

lpg is not better on economy as far as miles per gallon, but its better for power low down, and for boats is a perfect solution.
the fuel can be transferred to a boat better and safer than petrol, by either portable tank or at filling from a pump.
its cleaner burning and cheaper to buy.

is it safe ? I would say that if both types of fuel were invented today, the lpg propane method would pass a safety certificate but petrol would not.
like said above plastic petrol tanks ???????

I think the more people look into lpg, the more they would realise its a good fuel. and ideal for us boaters around the world.
plus remember its better than the ethanol and benzene rubbish we are all getting now at the pumps instead of good old petrol.

just my opinion ,
but like I say I used it every day in a large 4x4 every day for 10 years with NO problems of safety at all.

anyone who wants to run a 4 stroke engine it very easy to convert ANY 4 stroke to lpg (propane)
and also some fuel injected 2 strokes.

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Weimed
I have a 5hp and I have never had any problems with it.
it is very easy to store and they do make composite tanks that hold 5, 10 or 20 pounds of propane.
Just so you no. If done at a propane refill station 20lbs is 4 1/2 gallons.
My zodiac is very happy with the engine. Im not really sure what the agenda is from some of the people with the negative complaints.
what I will tell you is to go to a Lehr dealer and ask for a demo and also check on the service and support.
I will also tell you that the engines made now are much better than they were a few years ago.
when Lehr first started this there was only the 2 1/2 hp. Then they went to 5. Last year they went to 9. This year they went to 15.
They have grown as a company and with growth comes a better product

HopCar

Cadet

I've been selling Lehr outboards since the first shipment arrived. The first batch had some problems but Lehr took care of all of them. The current engines are very good. I think any problems someone might encounter now are because the dealer didn't test run the engine or educate the customer on how to operate the engine.

if the dealer didn't teach you, Lehr now has a series of great videos on how to operate and maintain your engine.
In fact propane powered engines require much less maintenance than gasoline engines.

The big thing to learn is how to bleed air from the fuel line. It's very easy, you don't have to do it often and it takes less than a minute.
Bleeding the air makes starting an engine that has not been run recently a two pull event.

I love how easy it is to start a Lehr engine.

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I've been selling Lehr outboards since the first shipment arrived. The first batch had some problems but Lehr took care of all of them. The current engines are very good. I think any problems someone might encounter now are because the dealer didn't test run the engine or educate the customer on how to operate the engine.

if the dealer didn't teach you, Lehr now has a series of great videos on how to operate and maintain your engine.
In fact propane powered engines require much less maintenance than gasoline engines.

The big thing to learn is how to bleed air from the fuel line. It's very easy, you don't have to do it often and it takes less than a minute.
Bleeding the air makes starting an engine that has not been run recently a two pull event.

I love how easy it is to start a Lehr engine.

You made my point.
When you buy the engine from an authorized dealer there are no problems.
What I truely love about the engine is that you dont have to worry about treating fuel. The carb does not clog up because of fuel problems. Unlike gas propane has no shelf life. Also propane is a lot easier to store and carry.
I have a Zodiac sib and I find it gets more use now that im running propane than it did when I ran gas. I think propane is the perfect choice for inflatable boats

HopCar

Cadet

"I think propane is the perfect choice for inflatable boats "
Do you think we could inflate the boat with it? Pretend I knew how to put a smiley face thing here.