Storage position (elevation) for stern drive

dmoccia

Cadet
I haven't been able to find out what position I should leave my stern drive in while in storage (all the way up? or all the way down?).

alldodge

Staff member
IMO and also with the Merc manual, it is best to put it full or at least close to full down. This helps a bunch in the longevity of the boots

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
is there any concern for pressure on the trim or tilt cylinders??

No. Probably more pressure with the drive raised because of gravity, a very minor concern. The bellows are the higher stressed parts with a raised drive.

Mule Laker

Petty Officer 2nd Class
IMO and also with the Merc manual, it is best to put it full or at least close to full down. This helps a bunch in the longevity of the boots

Love to keep mine down but that would be tough. I drop the boat off at the storage shed and of course I take the battery with home. The gentleman who stores the boat for me will then have to move the boat around the property and in and out of the storage building.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Love to keep mine down but that would be tough. I drop the boat off at the storage shed and of course I take the battery with home. The gentleman who stores the boat for me will then have to move the boat around the property and in and out of the storage building.
Store it with the drive off!

tpenfield

Staff member
If you are in an area where the winter temps get below freezing, you will want the outdrive down. Lots of folks just take them off as they will need to be removed anyway to grease the u-joints (assuming the grease-able kind.)