Storage, mice

Prin

Seaman Apprentice
Has anyone had any experience storing an inflatable made of PVC? I have heard that mice like to munch on this material. I use Bounce softner sheets in my motorhome to keep the mice away. Will this work with the inflatable? I plan to keep it in its storage bag and in an unheated shed for the winter. Any thoughts or ideas?
Has anyone used something to help with mice etc. in a traditional boat ( I have a 21 foot Four Winns). I have not had problems with mice in it and it is stored outside with a mooring cover and cheap blue "plastic" tarp.

crunch

Commander
Re: Storage, mice

See:

http://forums.iboats.com/bbBoard.cg...e about covered it, at least for your boat 8)

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I use Bounce in the garage and shed, and add some moth balls to the shed.
We use Bounce in the camper that stays out in the woods.
We put it everywhere.

My garage stinks like Bounce so bad, I can hardly stand it.

kbetts

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Roscoe,
I have been using mothballs in the boat, takes a while to get the smell out come spring. How many sheets of bounce are you talken, for a 21 foot boat covered in a shed?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

A lot.
Buy a box and use it up.

No reason to save it, is there?

Put it around the tires, tongue jack, in the engine exhaust, in the bilge, fuel area, the engine compartment, or under the cowl of an outboard.in and under every nook and cranny.

Don't forget to stuff a few up under the dash around the wiring.
And stuff some under the edge of the cover.

And remove anything that they would like to chew up for a nest, like paper toweling, TP, rags, towels, etc.

I have had mice fill my air cleaners with seeds, so stuff some in there too.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

I agree with Roscoe. Bounce does the job. I put it in every compartment and scatter some out on the deck before I cover it for winter and have never had a problem. Don't know what it's got in it, but mice and other critters don't like it....

deejaycee_2000

Captain

Mice won't eat your inflatable, I found many mice dropping all over my inflatables but never any damage, rats might though ..... I had a 96' suzuki 6hp that was lying in my garage on its side for years and mice started making a nest inside the engine, I had to get the whole thing overhauled as they messed up the whole thing, wires etc. was not cool at all ......

kbetts

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the input guys, it's going to be Bounce this year instead of the foul smelling mothballs.