Stop the prop from spinning

River Queen13

Recruit
If I put the throttle in neutral, there's a button on yhe shifter that if you push it in, the throttle jumps out of gear and will continue idle but the prop won't spin. Have you ever heard of such a thing?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Very Common. Yes it is a feature of mostly for the easier starting of carbureted motors. It locks out the gear shifter so you can start it easier by using the throttle only function. Generally EFI motors do not need that feature, but it is built into the control so you get it.

briangcc

Commander
If we're talking I/O's...my Volvo - 5.0L EFI - and my current Merc - 4.3L EFI - both had that feature.

If we're talking outboards....my Honda 115 EFI had it as did my Force 120 (2 stroke PoP [pile of pucky]).

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
With many motors, you need to throttle up to get them to start.
Push in the button, push throttle forward, start engine, pull throttle back.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Ist time I saw that, was on a Mercrusier throttle lever in the early 70s

Bondo

Staff member
If I put the throttle in neutral, there's a button on yhe shifter that if you push it in, the throttle jumps out of gear and will continue idle but the prop won't spin. Have you ever heard of such a thing?
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,.... Other than the really old Merc outboard controls that had a separate lever for the throttle,....
Every controller I've ever used worked that way,....