Stoned Again

LadyFish

Admiral
Gotcha! :p <br /><br />Actually, I'm writing this thread to ask about gallstones and gallbladder sugery. I had kidney stones a few months back and now this.<br /><br />I was curious, although I understand that this is more rare in men than women, if you or your spouses have experience with this. <br /><br />I'm kind of a scaredy cat when it comes to doctors and surgery. :( <br /><br />I will see a doctor this morning. I've been in steady agony for over 2 weeks now, but after doing a little research this morning I guess I've had symtoms for nearly a year on and off.<br /><br />Any personal experience or information would be helpful.<br /><br />Thanks.

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Stoned Again

My wife had gall stone surgery late last year. Her research indicated that once you have gall stones you'll always have problems. Her surgery was done laproscopicaly. She has recovered well and was happy to go through the inconvienence of surgery to prevent another painful gallbladder attack.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yes LF, once you have attacks, you will always have attacks till you get er done. :D <br /><br />Pretty simple job nowadays, 2 or 3 small incisions and they plucked them out. Well, that's what they did to my 75 year old FIL 2 year ago.

Ralph 123

Captain

Funny you should ask LF. I had to watch a bunch of them some of them at your very hospital! <br /><br />I can tell you what the procedure is like if you want. In general, it's actually very ingenious. As you know by now, it is called minimally invasive surgery and done with a laprascope and special instruments designed to be used through very small incisions. <br /><br />The surgery is so common the surgeon usually does several a day. I wouldn't be the least bit concerned if it was me or a loved one.

KaGee

Admiral

Usually outpatient these days... like your laundry... in by 9... out by 5!<br /><br />Back up on your feet same day. You will have to take a day or two off from tormenting Mr. LF. Godd excuse for him to go fishing! :D :p

NYMINUTE

Captain

Ooops thought this was a spin off of dolluper's thread! Seriously LF, my wife had an attack a few years ago so bad that I was in pain. While waiting at the emergency room, it passed. no problem since. Not much help, but maybe you get lucky and its a one time thing.

levittownnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I had the surgery a few years ago. Everything whent well and I was discharged the same day. I too am a scardy-cat when it comes to surgery. To me minor surgery is surgery after the fact, or surgery on someone else.<br />Wish you the very best. Keep your threads comming, it's always interesting to read them.<br />P.S. Mr. Ladyfish, she will be fine, just give her some good pampering.

dolluper

Captain

My wifee had one blasted by ultrasound and the little bits passed but now she was told to drink plenty of water and stay away from as much salt and even calicum as she can, pretty much salt in everything espically canned products ,no chips and comfort food for her :mad: They say if she doesn't do so she will end up with more along the road of life but the water keeps things better flushed[sounds like a toilet commerical eh] Good Luck

KennyKenCan

Commander

I don't have kidney stones LF, but I do have a cyst in my right kidney!!<br /><br />I'd gladly trade ya!!

SoulWinner

Commander

Gee, I'm really sorry to hear about this LF and KKC. We will pray for you both.

LadyFish

Admiral

Thanks y'all.<br /><br />I just had some blood work done today and some poking and prodding. Depending on the blood work, the doc will schedule an ultra sound. My next appointment isn't until the 28th, so no relief at least until then. :(

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

LF, my wife had her gallbladder removed about 5 years ago. She went in the morning and was back at home by 3 in the afternoon. <br /><br />Her only problem is greasy foods go right through her (especially pork). The doc gave her something to mix with juice. Her description of the stuff was it was like drinking sand. She quit using that stuff after the first couple of times. It did help her with the grease intake.<br /><br />Just about 2 months ago, she found that eating yogurt reduced her need for large quantites of Imodium. That was the only problem she had since her gallbladder was removed.<br /><br />Good luck, hope Mr. Ladyfish takes good care of you!

87Aggie

Petty Officer 1st Class

Endured the pain as long as I could and finally broke down and went to the Doc, he diagnosed as gall bladder and I had to have a bunch of tests to make sure. It had to be removed during day surgery (laproscopic) I've got a couple of 1/2 inch to 1 inch scars on my belly as a result. A few days at home recuping and I was good to go. Done three years ago and not a problem since. Not to be negative, however my dad had to have his removed a few years ago and it was supposed to be routine laproscopic, something wasn't quite right when they scoped in and decided it needed to be done the old fashioned way. He ended up spending a week in the hospital and a couple of more recuping. A pretty rare occurence I've heard. It's going to be fine I'm sure, good luck!

Kenneth Brown

Captain

My mom had here gall bladder removed. Terrible experiance, she was in hospital for over a week and bedridden for several more at home. M-i-l had same surgery. She stayed a day and a half. Within one week she was mowing grass and everything else. Completely different results. Good luck to ya.

LadyFish

Admiral

As far as dieting, you are right, rapid weight loss and yoyo dieting are one of the causes. I don't know of two many women who haven't done this. It may be the primary reason women are more suceptable to gallstones too.<br /><br />Additionally, it can be inherited and there is always stronger risk if its maternally inherited. My Mom had hers removed a few years ago but she let it go too long and ended up with pancreatitus.<br /><br />The doctor also found a small hernia very close to the gallbladder yesterday but didn't seem too concerned about it. I guess I have to wait for the ultrasound before I'll know any more. :(

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

since i haven't seen my boat since october, and topics here are getting streatched out a bit from boating, ive been reading alot on obesityhelp.com, seems to be a cure all or most of my ills. but several doctor do discuss the gall blader fucntion, pro and cons about to keepping or takeing it out.also<br /> http://www.duodenalswitch.com/

carrotsnapper

Petty Officer 1st Class

My wife had her gall bladder removed about 20 years ago. She has been fine ever since. Has a scar about 3 or 4 inches long across the top of her stomach. She used to say that she couldn't tolerate cucumber very well. As far as I know, that is all. She eats comfort food and has never really been a dieter. Good luck with all. It sounds like you've been eating too much gravel (kidney stones and gall stones). :D