Stolen prop

97trophy

Seaman Apprentice
This weekend someone stole my prop and I need to replace. It is a 1997 Force 120 on a 1903 Trophy. What size should I go with.

97trophy

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Stolen prop

which is best and what would be the difference in sizes

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

No one can answer that question without knowing what prop you had before, and what the wide open throttle rpm's were with it. Also useful would be holeshot info, and ofcourse, the intended use of the boat. There will also be a difference between an aluminum prop, and a stainless steel prop, or a high performance stainless prop.<br /><br />You are gonna have to buy one and try it, then calculate what you should have, and buy that one. Keep the first one as a spare.

97trophy

Seaman Apprentice

Well I did not write the size down before someone else decided they needed more than I did. basically offshore fishing and flats. I am not pullinging any water skiers. WOT was 5500 rpm's with my last prop. Do you know what prop was originally sold with that motor?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

No, sorry. the original prop was matched to the boat/load it would be pushing. The same motor on a larger or smaller boat, would have had a different prop.<br /><br />Only other advice I can offer is to find a prop shop that will let you try a few to see which one is best.

funpilot

Petty Officer 1st Class

Roscoe, if Kingair was seeing 5500 rpm on his boat, don't you imagine it would have to be with a 19 pitch prop? I can't imagine getting that high of an engine speed with the 17 inch pitch.<br /><br />I guess I would start with the 19 if he isn't pulling skiers, and was seeing that sorta RPM...<br /><br />fp

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think you have your number confused. a 19 would make the engine revs go down, a 17 would go up.

97trophy

Seaman Apprentice

I spoke to the manufacturer, and they told me that boat was sold with a 21 inch prop. Mercury says they do not send engines out with props when they are 100 HP and higher. That determination is made by the boat builder.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

There you go. <br />You just had to ask the right person. :)