Stingray planer wings on a OMC Cobra 3.0

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander
I've always heard that with these planer wings installed, you get higher speeds from your boat. In a loaded boat maybe...but in a slightly loaded boat the opposite was true for me... any comments or experiences with these or similar planing wings?

tylerin

Commander
Re: Stingray planer wings on a OMC Cobra 3.0

I believe they are to get you on plane faster. Your less likely to porpoise. I don't have one so this is here-say

shadowdwpp

Seaman
Re: Stingray planer wings on a OMC Cobra 3.0

I'm new to boating but just replaced stinger hydrofoil with a dolphin. dolphin is alot smaller probably 40% of the area the stingray took.<br /><br />The stingray would get up on plane fairly quickly even with full load in almost any conditions I would definitly recomend one if you are running near weight capacity. <br /><br />The dolphin improves handling and gets up on plane fast however with a full load and chop/wind I had to have everyone go to the bow to get up on plane. I lost about 2-3 mph with this hydrofoil so I would say the sting ray does improve speed and getting up on plane but it's more sluggish for handling in tight turns and staying on plane<br /><br />I have not tried running without a hydrofoil