"Sting Ray" stabilizer

Hi,<br /><br />I have a 22ft boat with at 260 hp mercruiser. The previous owner had bolted a "Sting Ray" to the lower unit. I know these are supposed to help plane the boat out faster, but I have been told that they increase drag and decrease the overall speed of the boat? Is this true, and should I keep the sting ray on? Any help is appreciated.<br /><br />Capt Redbeard

Bondo

Staff member
Re: "Sting Ray" stabilizer

Every Boat is Different.......<br />It's Only a couple of bolts.... Take it Off,+ Try It......<br />You can Always put it back on......

bobbya

Cadet

I was told once by an old salt,if they were any good ,the manufacturer would install!!!It's up to you. GOOD LUCK

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Check the posts under Smart Tabs for more info.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

The only boats that will notice any difference in speed are racing boats.The benefits usually outweigh the non-noticable "drag" Charlie

MajBach

Chief Petty Officer

I don't quite get it. Most of the time, the popular consensus is that DOl-phins/Stingrays etc. can and do provide increased performance - what and to what degree depends on the boat. Seems like most opinions in this thread think it's a waste of money. I disagree. I have had both two piece and one piece (like the stingray), I prefer the one piece. Regardless, I swear by them - at least in my experience. The performance difference on my most recent boat after installing a Dol-phin is stark. Time-to-plane, lowest speed to maintain the plain and in some eight configurations, even top speed is improved.<br /><br />What a narrow-minded opinion "if they were any good, the mfg. would install them". Wouldn't it be nice if mfg's followed this philosophy on all products.

LubeDude

Admiral

I have had these on two boats, (the one peice type), Both got up on plane faster than with out and you could plane at a slower speed. However now I am leaning to the smart tabs, they are more money, but I beleive them to be that much better, and will not hinder top end performance, and may actually help.

DAG

Cadet

Last summer we bought a Chaparral 183 with a merc 190 hp.<br />After about two weeks, I installed a stingray. WOW. The boat got on a plane much faster, has far more lateral stability and I gained a couple mph. <br />As for the saying "if they were any good ,the manufacturer would install", if that were true, the boat would come with a steel prop and my house would have come with a hot tub.

cjflanagan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you do remove it and decide to keep it, be careful not to over-tighten the bolts when you put it back on. You'll not want to crack the anti-ventilation plate. :mad:

richg99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

4 different boats; 4 anti-vent/cav plates...great added performance in EVERY case. <br /><br />All of the boats had some sort of extension -i.e... jackplate; added tilt/trim etc. though. I'm certain that they don't work in every case. Many boats don't need them. Smart tabs might be an even better choice...but...this listing is simply my results over the last five or so years. Latest was a Bob's plate for $35.00 from Bob's machine in FL...best money I've spent in a while. RichG

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Let's not make this a debate - that is counter productive. This is what we have found -<br /><br />The plus side for hydrofoils is that: <br /><br />They provide additional planing surface which helps the stern heavy boat get on top easier.<br /><br />They help stern heavy boats stay on plane at slightly slower speeds.<br /><br />They can help stern heavy boats with low power to weight ratio run a bit faster if the motor is over proped.<br /><br />The down side can be:<br /><br />Handling at higher speeds can vary significantly depending on the position of the hydrofoil in the water. If the foil runs on top of the water it reacts very different than when it runs below the water. Adjusting engine (outboards) height can be a necessity.<br /><br />Lifting the boat by the motor is not advisable for two reasons; one the extra stress on the motor mounting system, and the cavitation plate. <br /><br />Handling can also be an issue especially if the boat is a deep V, as the extra lift in the center of the boat can cause port to starboard instability (like trying to balance the boat on the keel.<br /><br />As for why the motor manufacturers do not make the cavitation plate bigger - they do not know what the application of the motor. They can not control the installation or the hull design. They do know that added planing surface will change the handling of the boat.<br /><br />Tilt trim changes the position and angle of the hydrofoil in the water and therefore changes the handling characteristic.<br /><br />Lastly, the hydrofoil is rigid and can not be adjusted to the specific need of the boat. <br /><br />Trim tabs are adjustable. They should also be sized to the boat.

Thanks again, for all of the information and experiences everyone. I really appreciate the help.<br /><br />Redbeard

1986mariner150

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have used hydro foil type stabilizers on motors<br />ranging from 40 to 140 hp. In all cases the foil is out of the water while boats on plane. My favorite is called a SE Sport. Helped me get and stay on plane with lower rpm. Lets me trim a little further without the nose bonce. Very strong peice, you can use it as a step to get in boat after swimming. And most attractive one IMHO. The design seems to be more condusive to fighting cavatation than most i have seen.

louisp

Cadet

My last boat (1995-20' Renken CC w/115 Yamaha) threw up a terrible spray despite proper mounting and cavitated on quick starts. I tried the Dolphin, it helped but the spray was still present. I found something called the COBRA EdgePro and the performance was nothing short of a miracle. It got rid of the spray, dramatically reduced time to get on plane, started with the motor trimmed further out, let me trim the motor further out underway, and decreased fuel consumption. And believe it or not, I am not a salesman for them. Once in a while you come across a product that you swear on, this is one for me. Unfortunately they are a little harder to find, I got my at Overton's. After the sucess on my previous boat, I put one on my new one before it hit the water!!