Still Skeg (lower unit) problems

Neil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Guys,<br /><br />I still have problems detaching my lower unit (formerly described as a skeg!)skeg. Can you look at my posting on the 2nd Nov. <br /><br />VRO issue can wait.<br /><br />Is there a method I can talk directly with guys that already contributed ? They may think the problem is solved and wouldn't know unless they check back on the original mail.<br /><br />NG :(

Mike M2

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Still Skeg (lower unit) problems

I dont understand, are you saying you want to replace the entire lower unit? The skeg should be part of the whole thing, and it should split just above the top filler screw.Did you remove the screw inside the trim tab cavity Some models have 2 just above the prop, one in the cavity, one not. There are probably 6 total bolts holding it together.

Neil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mike,<br /><br />Yes I really mean the lower unit. Forgive my ignorance, these terms are new to me.<br /><br />I have removed 4 outside bolts and a fifth which is next to the trim tab.<br /><br />I only have gearbox and lower unit connected. Engine is off and I can see the drive shaft and a smaller connecting rod which I presume to be forward/reverse selector.<br /><br />No ammount of banging will separate the 2 although a very small gap is apparant.<br /><br />I was hoping some gentle tapping would separate the two but it seems as if there is something still holding the two together, although I can't see anything.<br /><br />Thanks for your help.<br /><br />NG

Mike M2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok, remove the trim tab. There's a bolt under it, too. Total of 6. :D

Bear

Lieutenant Commander

Lower unit removal<br /><br />This is step by step info for a Merc that may work for your OMC too.<br /><br />/Bear

Neil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mike,<br /><br />Yep there are 6 bolts. All have been removed, including the one next to the trim tab. There isn't one underneath I have checked that already.<br /><br />Do you just think it needs a good bash. I have already smacked it with wood and I am starting to distort the edge a little. To me there doesn't seem anything left to hold it together.<br /><br />Bear,<br /><br />Thanks for the note. I was planning to do the pump so this will certainly help. The removal procedure seems similar to what I have done already - except the bottom unit doesn't simply slide down.<br /><br />7lb sledge hammer on its way and suffer thge consequences..<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />NG

Bob O

Recruit

I am not a mechanic, but... Is there a release for the connecting rod that you need to get at from the top section of the engine?

Neil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bob,<br /><br />Spot on.<br /><br />I had a hidden bolt and a needed to release the knuckle.<br /><br />I can close this post now as I have a continuing one on a later page.<br /><br />Thanks all. :)