still runs hot at WOT

uniquesound

Cadet
hi ive got a 93 225 oceanrunner that i just fixed a fuel restriction problem on but im still getting a hot light at WOT i can back out of it and the light will cut off instantly almost but as soon as i plane and get wide open the light comes on so i slow down and it shuts off? The fuel restriction problem was found to be sand in my gas tank and fuel filters which i changed everything to new but the tank i just flushed it out any help is appreciated thanks!

angus63

Captain
Re: still runs hot at WOT

Did you clean out the fine mesh screen on the fuel pump?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i don't see where a fuel restirction, would make you run hot. probably a impeller failing unable to keep up with the rpms. just because it's peeing doesn't mean the tstat is opening and cooling.

uniquesound

Cadet

so would you suggest changing the t-stats and the impeller? if so were are the t-stats? i've changed an impeller once before in my old johnson 115!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

tstat is just above the top plug on each cylinder head.

angus63

Captain

Are you sure it's hot and not fuel restricted warning your getting??? If the warning stops immediately when you throttle back, I'm thinking it's a fuel restriction warning. A high temp warning will take at least 5-10 sec to dissipate some heat to open the switch again (plus hysterisis in the make/break temp switch). The vacuum switch to indicate fuel restriction will react immediate to throttle back. Are you getting a steady alarm tone?

uniquesound

Cadet

the tone lasts around five to ten seconds then shuts off for about 1 or 2 minutes then comes back on in the same sequence till i throttle back. Like i said the hot light is lit up but i dont know if the previous owner might have crossed the hot light check engine light wires because they spliced in 2002 bombarbier controls to a 93 model motor and the check engine light never comes on.

angus63

Captain

93 motor not setup for post 96 controls with idiot lights without special adaptor. First thing is to find out what alarm you are getting. Use melt sticks or an IR thermometer to measure head temps next time this occurs. High temp alarm should sound around 180 F. Normal running is 140-150 F. If temps are 160 F or below immediately after alarm, you either have a bad temp switch or a fuel restriction.
CHECK THOSE HEAD TEMPS
Good Luck