still no start

hullofalottatrouble

Petty Officer 1st Class
merc 260 qjet carb pertronix II ignition and flamethrower coil..

got new batteries in and cranked it over.. had a few plug wires messed up and got that fixed.. so tried to fire it up and it start went to high rpm i throttled back and it died.. this maybe lasted like 5-6 seconds or something..

so tried again again again and again and it never fired up again.. best i got was a few seconds and what seemed like it was only firing on like 1 or 2 cylinders or something.. kinda rattled.. no backfire or anything..

i messed with the dist to see if the timing was way off and it helped but still never got past where it seemed like only 1 or 2 cylinders.. from what i recall if i get the thing with cyl 1 at like 6 oclock it was close enough to at least fire up. but not this time..

compression is good.. carb/fuel flow is good.. i guess by this point wondering if i got the thing flooded? it got cold so i gave up.. guess ill try again tomorrow..

getting frustrating..

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: still no start

You MUST have the plug wire for #1 cylinder at the end of the distributor rotor when the engine is up on #1 TDC. Then the firing order MUST be in the right direction and order.

Is it?

What year is this 260?
Did it run before the pertronix?

hullofalottatrouble

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don.. yup.. i need to check the order again.. but i ran through it before trying to start and it was correct..

cyl 1 at TDC on my setup is pretty much the 6 oclock position.. thanks for the reminder thou on setting it up again.. ill check that in the morning and try it again.. the timing was perfect before winterized but i definitely moved it a bit outta whack even before this attempt to start.. but i remembered from last summer that anywhere around 6 oclock was good enough to get her to fire..

it is a 1982 reman from last summer.. ran fine with the pertronix installed before winterized.. has 0 on water hours.. i just got it installed and fired up in time to winterize it..

since winterized it has not started..

definitely have fuel flow and compression so i know i need to narrow this down to spark..

Don S

Might also check the distributor for moisture in the cap.

gwaidman

Cadet

Hmm, was the coil just added, or was it installed last year with the pertronix unit? If the coil was just installed, make sure it is getting a full +12v, as some manufactures ran a resistance wire to the coil, IIRC supplying ony +5v. As well, make sure the pertronix unit is 'seated' in the distributor and has not come loose from its position. Often there is a small dowel at one end that installs as a referance. As well, check the spacing between the pertronix unit and the distributor wall with the shim that should have come with the unit, or look it up and use some feeler gauges. This is an important dimension as it effectivly changes the dwell (Pertronix 1 units, I beleive). Other than that, double check the grounds and good luck. These units rarely go down, I have them in my cars for years (WAY better than points!!) without issue. Cheers!

hullofalottatrouble

Petty Officer 1st Class

i know the fuel pump works and the accel pump shoots two strong streams into the carb..

the coil and pertronix unit were both installed last year. engine ran fine before winterized.. but wont start since..

RCSConstruction

Chief Petty Officer

The only other thing that comes to mind is the air gap as mentioned above. Also, on my V-8 the rotor is in more of the 5 o'clock position for tdc on compression stroke. As don pointed out, when at TDC on compression stroke the rotor must be facing the post in the cap (that will be number 1) and then route the spark plug wires in firing order from there. I re-read your entire thread and I think the dist. is mis-aligned. Best way to make sure your on TDC on compression is to see if both valves are closed and the line on the harmonic balancer is even with the timing mark on the timing cover. You do get a little burst of air on the exhaust stroke and maybe you thought it was the compression stroke?
If your really not sure, pull the valve cover so you can see that both valves are closed.
Good Luck

P.S.
Is there a vacuum advance on it?

hullofalottatrouble

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks RCN you are right it does seem to be close to 5 oclock that 6.. good reminder to never rely on my tired old memory.. and thanks to Don to for the reminder on setting it up based on tdc cyl 1... did all that last summer and just figured i was still close enough to be okay.. but i was wrong.. always good to go back to the basics every time and just check it with tdc on cyl 1.. i got it to fire up.. it wasn't very smooth but it started and ran idled without dying or stalling.. good oil pressure.. so ill check the tdc on 1.. get the old timing light out and get it set...

thanks

hullofalottatrouble

Petty Officer 1st Class

i took the distributor cap off and the new rotor i bought was broken.. cracked with a couple chunks of it sitting down in the distributor.. doesnt seem like that oughta happen?

Don S

You will need a new cap also, when the rotors aren't pushed all the way onto the shaft, it usually cracks the electrodes in the cap while destroying the rotor.

Coors

Captain

Forgot that, Don, so used to something like that ;being a given. I need to explain better from now on.

Last edited:

hullofalottatrouble

Petty Officer 1st Class

no there is no vacuum advance its a marine distributor.. yup. that would explain it.. thanks don.. it was a long day.. mothers day gotta go play with my neice and nephew.. neice kicked me in the mom and daddy bits and later in the day nephew kicked a soccer ball there.. the soccer ball hurt worse.. lol.. so i shoulda known better than to mess with the boat again.. yeah i know some of these things are obvious but at least i know enough to know its screwed up and come on here to get some direction.. rather talk some abuse on here then keep making the same dumb mistakes.. which i certianly do..

thanks