Still no joy !!!

bowhuntrrl

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok, here's what I've done so far to fix a stalling problem going into gear on my 1986 DT-85 that sat for 4 years. I rebuilt the fuel pump, rebuilt the carbs, and checked the oil pump timing.Cleaned out the oil tank and replaced the oil with Pennzoil Premium Plus Synthetic blend . I set the air/idle jets to 1 1/2 turns per Clymer manual. The engine started like a champ and seemed to idle ok although the engine put out a lot of smoke.

Took it to the lake and still stalled going into gear. Seemed like the idle was low, so I set it up a bit. That seemed to fix the stalling, but then we had a new problem. Engine started to run on 2 cylinders (top not firing) . Pulled the plugs and put in 3 new NGK B8HS plugs. Started it up again and fouled the top plug again. I opened up the top carb idle jet to 2 turns. Cleaned the fouled plug and switched cylinders with plug from middle cyl. Started it up again and let it idle. Seemed to be running on all 3 cylinders. I waited until the thermostat opened, then put it into gear. It immediately started to run on 2 cylinders as soon as it was put under load.

Pulled it out of the lake again and checked the plugs. This time, it was the middle cylinder that was fouled. This was where I had moved the plug previously. My thought is that it's a bad plug. I have had really bad luck with NGKs in the past with snowmobiles and absolutely detest them. I wish I could use something else.

Anyways, 2 things: It seems like a bad plug since the cylinder fouls where ever I move the plug to.

The other thing: Before I took the carbs apart, I marked down the air/idle jet turns to closed. All 3 were different and considerably different from the manual specs. Should I try these settings rather than the 1 1/2 turns called for ???

One other thing: The engine is an '86 by serial, but by the characteristics and features, it looks like an '87. The air/idle specs on the '87 are quite a bit leaner on the 1987 model.

No where in Clymer does it mention to adjust the air/idle jet after a carb overhaul, merely set to the spec. This seems odd to me since this adjustment is always tweeked for best idle on any other motor that I've ever worked on. What's the deal with that ???

This project is getting old as the season for fluke is over soon and mama wants some to eat !!!! Any thoughts on my dilemma ??? Thanks. :confused:

JUSTINTIME

Captain
Re: Still no joy !!!

check the coils for proper resistance
you might want to double check the carbs again