Still having problem !!!

CTboater420

Cadet
I have a 94 mercruiser 3.0l and I am having a problem with it boging down on me at about 3000-3500 rpms after about 1hr of tubing or skiing but if I just putt around the lake at 2000-2500 the boat will run all day . If I shut it down for a while then crank it back up it will run about 30-1hr before it starts up again . I have changed all plugs,wires and cap and rotor are new last year . changed the feul filter in the carb but not the one in the fuel pump because the pump seems to be working fine. Also have changed Ignition coil and added a water/feul sep. It is driving me crazy that I cant find the problem . The carb looks clean havnt down anything with it expect sprayed some carb cleaner in it. Should I change the fuel pump and also rebuit the carb? Please help. Thank for the the help

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Still having problem !!!

Have you checked the fuel tank vent. If it's getting plugged up, it will do as you described.<br />For a test, just take a run and leave the fill cap off the tank (if water can't get in) and give it a good run. If it works, the vent is plugged.

CTboater420

Cadet

Havnt tried that yet . How will I prevent water getting in the tank the fill cap is on the transom above the out drive ? Thanks Don

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That does present a bit of a problem. You might just try disconnecting the vent hose from the tank and blowing through it. There shouldn't be any resistance. Even look at the screen on the outside of the boat. If it's covered with corrosion, that can do it.