Stiff Steering

jr boater

Recruit
I have a 1996 Bayliner Capri 1950 with a 3.0 Mercruiser and an Alpha One outdrive. The steering is extremely stiff. It takes 2 strong hands to turn the wheel at idle or at full speed. It is much stiffer at high speed of course.

I disconnected the steering cable at the motor and I can turn the steering wheel with one finger. So I assume it is not the cable. With the cable disconnected, if I swing the motor left and right by hand it is quite stiff and makes a creaking noise when doing so. I tried this with the motor up and down. Same thing. The sound is coming from the top. With the motor down, it almost looks like there is corrosion on the pivot point at the top of the outdrive. I am no mechanic and I am a boat owner for a little over a month, so if my terms are incorrect, I apologize.

Any suggestions on the top pivot point? Could that be an issue? Would some WD40 or penetrating oil help or could there be some sort of grease fitting there I can not see?

Any help is appreciated.

zbnutcase

Commander
Re: Stiff Steering

Could very well be a corroded top pivot problem as it is a steel pin and will rust with out grease. Properly fixing it will require drive, bellows, and gimbal ring removal to clean and grease it, and it is not a job for a novice to tackle. Find a REPUTABLE shop or mechanic and have it done.