Stiff Steering - What's happening?

asbennett

Seaman
Hi - I am working on restoring a 1979 Steury with a 55 HP Chrysler OB. The first sea trial was a success. The boat floats! The engine runs! I noticed that the steering is VERY stiff in both directions. Can this be fixed or does the entire steering system need replaced?

D

DJ

Re: Stiff Steering - What's happening?

First off, remove the steering connection at the engine. Try turning the engine. If it is stiff, it's the engine. <br /><br />Otherwise, it's the steering cable. Replace it.

Oldsaltydog

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Stiff Steering - What's happening?

Yes, good advice, but more specifically it could be the tilt tube, if you have one, through which the end of your cable runs, usually in the form of a shaft. This is a very common place for steering problems. You need to check the INSIDE of this tube, by taking off a nut at one end or another on the tilt tube. If you find dried grease and/or rust inside, clean it out as well as you can with WD40 and a piece of wire. Then lube it with a marine gear oil and put the nut back on. Rock the motor, not the wheel, side to side, to free up the streering, and you may have to put some muscle into it. EVERY time you go out, lube the tilt tube first, even just the part of the shaft sticking out and rock the motor side to side. It has worked for me.