Stiff Steering!! Please Help

rpaldrich

Seaman Apprentice
My boats steering SUCKS!:mad::mad: It is way too hard to move, So what do you suggest with my current problem: Across the whole range L-R it is hard to move. If I move the wheel really fast with force, it is a little easier. This is all at idle / low RPM

--Steering cable is great (I've disconnected it and it moves very easily. I can turn the steering wheel by pushing/pulling on end of cable :D
--Outdrives both move very easily once disconnected from PS actuator. :D
--Small pinhole in the HP hose leading to PS actuator that only sometimes sprays if I bend it(in process of replacing hose)
--System is bled, pump works great.

--The steering tube assembly looks like it has broken off from the threads. It was just riding on the steering cable when I took it off. (part 20 with the red arrow)
PSPUMP.jpg

Questions:

1) Can I replace the whole thing with a newer style. See below. Will it "plug+play" with the hose connections and physical connections?

2) Will mine work with a broken tube? If not, is part that the tube connects to (part #17 above,) threaded or does the tube just sit in there? I'm worried about how hard it will be to get out the threaded tube if it screws into part 17.

3) How do I disconnect the steering cable from the valve assembly. I try turning the nut on the steering cable, but the steering cable turns with it...is this normal? I don't want to kink or break the cable.

4) Anybody have a new style (if it is plug+play) or old style steering actuator + ram they want to sell, or a steering tube that works for sale?

New Style:
asdf.jpg

piorun

Cadet
Re: Stiff Steering!! Please Help

I just bought whole used asembly from Green Bay Prop for $100 with shipping. Works like a charm.
Green Bay Prop

rpaldrich

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Piorun...any trouble getting your steering cable bolt to unscrew from valve assembly? Seems like my bolt as I unscrew it also turns the whole steering cable....

Did you have similar symptoms prior to replacement?

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks Piorun...any trouble getting your steering cable bolt to unscrew from valve assembly? Seems like my bolt as I unscrew it also turns the whole steering cable....

Did you have similar symptoms prior to replacement?

Ayuh,... Got a picture,..??

piorun

Cadet

No my bolt came off easy. I replaced mine because it rusted and it was leaking.

rpaldrich

Seaman Apprentice

Bond-o and all others,

Sorry for the delay, my job took me away from home for a bit so today was first day able to go to boat and take pics and work on steering.

Equipment: Twin Merc 260 350CI 1987 w/ Alpha Ones and power steering. Power Steering actuator is new to me from the above link, Green Bay Prop. Hi pressure line new, low pressure line new, new PS fluid, no leaks. Bled correctly as per service manual. Steering cable is free to move, does not have anything tied to it.

Symptoms: System is not balanced. At idle in neutral, wheel turns itself all the way to right. It is a struggle to turn wheel left. Following the service manual instructions for balancing, I removed both clevis pins and dust cap. Started engine and since ram pushed out to PORT side, I turned the nut CCW. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. I was looking for the ram to start trending toward STBD but it didn't. See pics below, I almost turned nut all way off and no change. PS pump started to smoke though, so that is a good sign. :facepalm: I think it is from all the PS fluid that I dripped onto the outside of pump during all the troubleshooting. So pump was getting hot enough to burn that stuff off. Don't know if it was related to me turning the nut or not.

Solution. ?????? That is where I need your help. Do I need to tap on the bolt when I turn the nut. Am I turning it the wrong way? I bought this new actuator and was hoping the steering was going to be finger light. It was until I put PS fluid into the new actuator and lines.

SteeringIssue004.jpg

SteeringIssue002.jpg

SteeringIssue006.jpg