Stiff steeering

radiation

Cadet
I bought a 93 Seanymph Sortfisher a couple of summers ago. The steering on it has always been stiff. After setting all winter at a friends house, I picked up the boat to prep it for fishing season. The steering is now so tight that I need both hands to turn the wheel. It has a OMC teleflex steering system. I don't know much about boats and even less about steering systems. I would GREATLY appreciate any help on what I can do to loosen the system up. I've checked the outboard and it's all greased and good. Thank you in advance!
Bill
1993 Seanymph Sportfisher
115 Evinrude

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Stiff steeering

Replace the cable...... it is corroded inside.

riptorn

Chief Petty Officer

Disconnect the steering cable from the motor and feel how hard it is to move the motor back and forth. Then check your teleflex steering system back and forth.
I have the same problem but I don't have grease nipple at the motor's shaft yet.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

agreed to both of the above....(the cable is the most likely suspect)

as mentioned......disconnect the cable. move motor......if it moves freely...the motor is not the issue.

disconnect the wheel from the cable.....if it moves freely.....it is not the problem.

operate the cable manually.....if its stiff......look for a kink, or a sharp bend... if every thing looks good......replace it