Stiff Controls

250Gimp

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi All

The controls for a '99 Force 75 are very stiff to work.

When shifting from neutral to forward or reverse it shifts very smoothly and then the control moves forward quite a ways very easily, without increasing throttle, and then things stiffen up. Once you get to the point of revving the engine it takes a lot of force to advance the throttle from idle up to WOT. Stiff enough that you have to put your elbow up in the air and lean on the throttle control. Revese is very similar, and even the idle/throttle increase tab while in neutral is very stiff to raise.

I am wondering if this is a cable problem or if it is a control that is way out of adjustment?

If anyone has any ideas I would really apreciate the help.

Cheers
CP

GrindKore

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Stiff Controls

It should not be stiff, you should be able to move controls with light pressure. The control cable may be pinched or bent too sharply, in ether case you should fix this before taking the boat out. Just imagine if the cable breaks while you are shifting in to reverse to stop the boat.

250Gimp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the reply GrindKore.

My brother inlaw has a line on some used, smooth running, throttle cables for Mercury/Force. Will they work on a 199 Force 75 and is it very hard to shorten them if needed?

Cheers

GrindKore

Petty Officer 1st Class

Before you go replacing things, you need to determine if the cable is the culprit in the first place. I would disconnect throttle and gear shift cables from the motor and try operating the throttle/gears. If you are still getting same binding, then likely the control cable(s) are causing binding issues.

250Gimp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks again GrindKore.

I disconnected the throttle cable this afternoon, and it still seems stiff. Some of the resistance is in the linkage in the motor as well, but it seemed stiff while disconnected.

It looks like the motor was replaced with its controls and they didn't shorten the cables. There is a full loop at the rear transom under the deck.

Is it hard to shorten the throttle cable? The shifter works very easily, so I don't think it is a factor.

Cheers

fishinrado

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had a similiar problem and it was broken strands within the cable that were binding things up. a loop at the end of the cable is not an issue......mine is that way as the exact footage was not available and they work perfect.

250Gimp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hhmm sounds like a good possibility fishinrado. Thanks!

that explains why the action feels kind of grindy, even when disconnected from the motor.

Cheers