Sticky lifter

pogi

Cadet
Hello, I ran my boat on sunday and it ran fine, then today when I started it it sounded like a stuck lifter. So I pulled the valve cover and sure enough the lifter in question was sticking. Can a sticky lifter cause a bent valve? After turning the engine over without starting, the noise went away and the lifter seems to move OK, but the engine is running rough now. Can a sticky lifter cause a bent valve? 1978 Merc cruiser Chev. 305.

Black as

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Sticky lifter

Hello, I ran my boat on sunday and it ran fine, then today when I started it it sounded like a stuck lifter. So I pulled the valve cover and sure enough the lifter in question was sticking. Can a sticky lifter cause a bent valve? After turning the engine over without starting, the noise went away and the lifter seems to move OK, but the engine is running rough now. Can a sticky lifter cause a bent valve? 1978 Merc cruiser Chev. 305.

It sure can, you need to also check the push rod as well as that also may be bent. But more likely the push rod, but check everything

cr2k

Captain

Might be time to run a quart of Rislone in the engine and then change the oil after a few outings. It will help unstick anything else that may be lurking.
You didn't say but is this a ford engine?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

No, but a sticking valve can cause a bent pushrod.

pogi

Cadet

Thanks for the help, I should be able to pull the rod out and check it right?

Black as

Chief Petty Officer

Sure can and that's a easy fix, good luck ;)