Sticker and Horsepower Ratings

Hoss 350

Seaman Apprentice
My buddy and I were having a philosophical discussion over a pint the other night about outboard motor sizing and the rules and requirements therein. I wanted to run this by you guys to see what you all know about the subject.

Every outboard-equipped boat I?ve ever been in has a sticker that has a boat capacity, weight, etc label, which also includes the boat motor horsepower rating, or some such.

We got to discussing my boat, a 1996 four wins with a Johnson 130 on it, and it?s top speed being a little over 45 MPH. I told him that I would like to have a bit more horsepower, because I am 6?-4? and weight a touch under 300 pounds, and the little 130 really struggles to pull me up (okay, it is me that struggles from being underwater for so long.. ha ha!) but that I don?t really want to lose my nice 33 MPH cruising sweet spot if I were to reduce prop pitch. But I digress.

My Dad?s boat is a 20 footer with a 200 horse outboard on it, and it rips. I figure a 10hp per foot rating gets 55 to 60 mph top speed, and an impressive holeshot in a typical open bow runabout like Dad and I both have. So I was saying that I wanted to up my 17 foot open bow runabout to about 10 hp per foot, by putting a 175 on it. (Note, this is all beer talk, there is no way I?m actually going to do that!)

And so we began? he said that I couldn?t legally do that because the sticker on my boat shows a 140 horse rating. I said that I thought that sticker was for the manufacturer and that once sold, the private owner could do whatever he wanted with it. I used those little ?go-faster? jet boats with big block caddy 502?s in a 15 to 17 foot boat as an example. No way the manufacturer of that shell intended for it to make 500 horsepower!

Also, my Dad had a boat rated for a 90 horse with a 115 horse on it that he ran around in for years. I know that doesn?t mean it was LEGAL, but man, if you knew my Dad?

Anyway, does anyone on here know for sure what the answer to this is? I?m sure we all have our opinions, and I am also sure that if I were to up her to a 175, that legal or not I no one would ever say a word, because I?ve been boating, along with my Dad, for a collective 60 years, and neither of us have ever had the sticker checked, despite having been ?safety checked? countless times at local lakes by the law.

What is more, our discussion went downt he road of ?well, what if you just ripped off the sticker, how would they know?? It was a good question. Are you required by law to have that sticker?

109jb

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Sticker and Horsepower Ratings

Look at the first topic here:

http://www.uscgboating.org/about/faqs/regulations.aspx#51

In my state (Illinois), there is a state regulation that says:

Unlawful Operation (625 ILCS)

Illinois law states that these operating practices are illegal:
Overloading or Overpowering (625 ILCS 45/5-4 and 45/5-6) is operating a vessel that has been loaded beyond the recommended carrying capacity or powered beyond the horsepower limits shown on the capacity plate installed by the vessel manufacturer.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The HP rating for a boat is the result of a formula developed for that purpose and is not "just for the manufacturer". Yes -- there are lots of boats that have large engines for their length. If the boat was "designed" for that power the plate would indicate that. If you see a boat with an engine rated at higher HP than the plate, it may not necessarily be illegal as far as the law is concerned in some states, but if you do happen to have an "incident" involving personal injury or property damage, someone else is going to own your stuff. It is very doubtful that an insurance company will insure a boat that is overpowered and if you lie to them and then have an incident, that brings us back to someone else owning your stuff as the insurance company will feed you to the wolves for a fraudulent application.

Hoss 350

Seaman Apprentice

Good points, guys, I really hadn't considered the insurance angle, but it makes sense, just like overloading a truck.

However, our discussion, and the subsequent "bet" was regarding legality, so I guess I'd better go to the Washington State RCWs and see what they say...

Again, I am not planning on actually doing this, I suspect that just going and buying another boat with more power would be far cheaper and easier.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Buying a boat with more power is not the answer. There are many boats of comparable length but their horsepower ratings may vary widely. For example there are many aluminum fishing (walleye) boats in the 16 - 17 foot category. Horsepower ratings for those boats can run from as little as 50 or 60 HP to well over 100 HP. Boat design dictates its capability -- not necessarily length and width alone. My point is that if you simply by a bigger boat with more HP you may not increase speed as much as you think you will.

Willyclay

Captain

My last boat purchased (used) did NOT have a capacity plate. The CPO I talked with at the local USCG base told me "it is the law and I needed to put one on the boat". I believed him and got one. Be safe!

Last edited:

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

It is federal law that boats under 20 feet have a capacity plate (Produced after i think 1971). What is odd, but is not federal law is whether anyone has to adhere to what a capacity plate says. State laws often cover that acpect though.

D

DJ

Stay within the rating.

The John. 130 is a strong engine. Perhaps you should concentrate on maximizing its potential, ie; engine height, prop selection, etc.

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

My boat (1988) has a capacity sticker, but does not indicate a maximum horsepower - only persons, etc...

Hoss 350

Seaman Apprentice

Stay within the rating.

The John. 130 is a strong engine. Perhaps you should concentrate on maximizing its potential, ie; engine height, prop selection, etc.

I am currently researching High-5 five blade props for it, firgure I'll test run a few in the next few weeks. I don't know about engine height, though, I guess I'd better do a search.