sterndrive to jetdrive

prplhze65

Seaman Apprentice
I am thinking about changing an I/O to an O.B with a jet pump. What are some of the problems that I might encounter? Im very mechanically inclined and I can do the metal fabrication that will be needed, Im just wondering about the headaches with the steering, shifter, fuel lines and whatever else. The boat is a 2001 crestliner with a 3.0 and an alpha one outdrive that I bought new last year, but in five or six years after its paid off and my kids are grown Im gonna want a jet boat(to get to those places that I cant go to now and I dont have to pull kids on skis) and instead of dropping 20G (min) for another boat Im thinking of retrofitting this one,I really like this boat! What do you guys/gals think? Am I crazy? I do enjoy building and modifying stuff like this, so Im not worried abvout how much labor will be involved. Gimmee some ideas. Thanks, P

Skinnywater

Commander
Re: sterndrive to jetdrive

I know what it's like to have it in your mind you want to do something and people say you can't or shouldn't. <br />With that having been said, I'll tell you you'll have many problems and a lot of work and it won't be practical.<br /><br />However, here's a point to ponder. There are SO many brand spanking new aluminum jet boats in our area of the Sacramento/Feather/American rivers. Most of the boats on the river are new this year, mine included. <br />There will be a large supply of used boats in the years to come. Use your boat for that 5-6 years, sell it, an buy a 5-6 year old jetboat.<br /><br />BTW, have you had any dealings with Sutter Marine?<br />How is the service department?

prplhze65

Seaman Apprentice

Hey, Skinny, thanks for the reply. I will ponder that point. I got lotsa time! As far as Sutter marine goes, Ive been in there twice to purchase parts. The first time I needed an impeller for a '59 Evinrude twin, and they found it for me, no problem. Really friendly. Last summer i bought a temp. probe from them. They dont deal with Mercury at all. So wheres your favorite fishin hole? C-ya. P

Skinnywater

Commander

I'm in the river weekly between Redbluff and Chico. I'm a few miles from the Woodson launch in Tehama county.<br />I've have a new 16' NorthRiver Revenge, center console, BF50 Honda Jet.<br /><br />My selling dealer in Redding has been the only problem so far.<br />I've been told Sutter is my next closest Honda dealer.