Sterndrive replacement problems

DerekBogie

Seaman Apprentice
I took off my old sterndrive off my 1985 Baretta with a 4 cylinder 3.0 mercruiser motor. When i removed the sterndrive the gimble bearing came out with the sterndrive. it is jammed and stuck on the shaft that inserts into the motor. I do not care about that gimbal bearing as i took off the outdrive off my 1986 galaxy with the same sterndrive. i removed the gimbal bearing out of the transom assembly on the 1986 galaxy donor boat. I then installed the gimbal bearing out of my donor boat into the new boat transom assembly. Is there any seals or anything AFTER the gimbal bearing before the shaft enters the motor? Also is there a way you must insert the gimbal bearing? Like in a certain degree? One other thing. How can i align my motor without having to spend an arm and a leg getting it professionally done?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Sterndrive replacement problems

as i took off the outdrive off my 1986
Does it have the same gear ratio, eg: same engine?

installed the gimbal bearing out of my donor boat into the new boat transom
YOU CANT DO THAT, you need a new assembly

is there a way you must insert the gimbal bearing?
Using a suitable driving device so as to not damage the bearing or tolerance ring

How can i align my motor without having to spend an arm and a leg getting it professionally done?
Visit the Adults Only section for the correct manual.

Glastron_V210

Petty Officer 1st Class

With a little more meat:

Outdrives have different gear ratios for different applications (IE: V8 vs I4). Make sure they are the same before swapping, or have someone swap it for you...usually pretty resonable to do. You can put the drive in gear, and rotate the input shaft, count output turns...ratio.

You should buy and install a new gimbal bearing.

There is a special driver tool, but I made my own. I used a 4x4, turned down on a lathe to the diameter of the outside ring of the gimbal, then hollow out the inside so the gimbal can sit flat in the 4X4.

Anything that will drive the gimbal in square and fully will work.

The gimbal brearing pivots inside the 'carrier'. When you buy an allignment tool for $50-100 and use it, the gimbal will lign up if you are in allignment.

Do the allignment as per the manual as sugested. It's not that hard.

Chay

DerekBogie

Seaman Apprentice

They both have the 140 4 cylinder mercrusier motors.. exactly them same sterndrives. Is there any seals after the gimbal bearing to the motor? the sterndrive i took fof the donor boat had a seal that came out from inside the boat fronm the transom assembly. but the other boat did not have this seal... any diagrams on what seals are they. i beleive the sterndrive i took of my new boat was used as parts then stuck back on to make it look good. The sterndrive was missing the gasket as well a the top cap.. so i am weary on what i am missing.

Bondo

Staff member

any diagrams on what seals are they.

Ayuh,... There's factory Manuals up in the Adults Only section at the top of this forum....

DerekBogie

Seaman Apprentice

I was told locally since i just took uot the sterndrive and am replacing it with the same model sterndrive that it should not need aligned that it should still be aligned from the previous sterndrive? Is there any truth in this?

nitrosteve

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There is no truth to that you should align it. It will probably be close but its still a good idea to align it.

NHGuy

Captain

There is a seal inside the transom before you put in the gimbal bearing. The bearing needs to go in with the grease feed lined up to the grease fill on the transom housing. The alignment tool is available on e-bay for about 40 bucks. You have to use the align tool or you will have wasted the parts and time you spent.

Swapping drives will not effect the alignment, R&R the gimbal bearing will require the alignment. It can not be done by eye.

Make sure to align the grease fill hole in the bearing with the cavity on the housing. use a sharpie or an awl and make a small scratch on it to align when you install it, the "new" one that is.

DerekBogie

Seaman Apprentice

like i stated earlier i had installed an old gimbal bearing into my unit. Well now i am trying to get it out so i can get a new gimbal bearing and of course it wont come out without a fight. I attempted putting a socket on the other side of the gimbal bearing and tied a tow strap threw the gimbal bearign and socket coming from the sterndrive side and no luck. it went in super easy but wont come out easy. I do not want to pay to get it professionally removed and do not have the resources to buy a new tool. i have seen a few homemade tools but does anyone know an easy way to get it out?

cr2k

Captain

Also to answer your question about going in with the gimbal brg. If you look in the housing there is a grease passage from the zerk on the outside at about 4 o'clock. If you spin the ss band on the gimbal you will notice a hole in the outer part of the brg align this to the hole inside for better grease flow.