Sterndrive maintenance

CRT Skiff Crafter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've been reading some posts regarding sterndrive care. Now I'm thinking I want to yank mine off and bring it home for winter and do whatever should be done to keep it happy.<br /><br />My questions are:<br />Is there a prescribed frequency for bellows replacement or just when they fail? <br /><br />How does one go about reliably determing the integrity of the bellows? Visual inspection?<br /><br />What else should I look for while I'm in there?<br /><br />I'm interested in becoming competent at doing as much of my own service as possible. If I'm going to get into the habit of pulling the drive, what special tools should I expect to purchase? Isn't there a special aligment tool that is to be used when reinstalling the drive?<br /><br />I recently had a new gimbal bearing installed and I was told that the ujoints were lubed at that time, so I'm probably OK on that. Also the mechanic mentioned that he thought the bellows looked ok. However, I want to be able to trust myself on these things.<br /><br />All help is appreciated.<br /><br />Regards, crt.

andrewgroup

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Sterndrive maintenance

I put about 60 hours a season on my 1969 Merc. The bellows on this boat last about 10 years. I always lower the OD when winterizing to relax bellows. Lubing the U-Joints is possible on my 69 Merc from inside the boat on a Zerc fitting and on the Cobra VIA a Zirc that has a LUBE grease tube that lubes the U-Joints. My u-joints will last the life of the Bellows.<br /><br />Of course the first sign of bad bellows is leaks.

tylerin

Commander

Andrew are you talking about the gimbal bearing or the u-joints

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Crafter,it is good to get familiar with the drive unit.I take it off every season.Drain it while it is on the boat.Let it drain overnight,the lube oil is very heavy.grease all fittings you can see in the fall,dont wait till spring.Remove the prop.split the drive in 2 and service the impeller.Change all o rings especially the tiny one between the upper and lower.Grease the drive shaft before putting the upper and lower back together.Clean and repaint any corrosion spots.Refill and use new gaskets on the fill and vent plugs.Store it in as warm a place as you can.Above freezing.Grease ujoints.Inspect bellows every year.They usually last about 4-5 years before they begin to crack.Charlie

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

By the way,make sure you have a manual,there are many little things you should know while you are doing this.Read the section first and it will seem more familiar while you are doing the service.Charlie

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

I'd really like to know how you grease the U-joints or gimbal bearing for that matter on a Cobra from inside the boat (would be great!)

Bondo

Staff member

CRT Skiff Crafter,<br /><br /> "How does one go about reliably determing the integrity of the bellows? Visual inspection?"<br /> <br />Yes.... Poke, Prod, Bend, Etc.... You're looking for Any Weather Checking, or Cracks, Usually in the Inner Grooves along the lower section of the bellows goes 1st(flexes more when trimming)....<br /><br /> "what special tools should I expect to purchase? Isn't there a special aligment tool that is to be used when reinstalling the drive?" <br /><br />That Depends on How Far you wish go it yourself.... <br />The alignment Should be checked whenever the outdrive is off, or Must be checked if the Engine has been Disturbed(in it's mounts).....Alignment tools have gone from about $100. that I paid, Down to $35. on ebay.... <br />IF you'd like to replace your own Bellows, a Bellows Expander is a Required Tool... It's next to Impossible to do without it.... <br />IF you wish to remove the Gimbal Ring, There's a Tool to remove the Gimbal Pins....<br />The Gimbal Bearing Requires a SlideHammer to remove.....<br />The U-Joints Can be done with a BFH, or a Joint press....<br />It's after you Open the Outdrive itself that you'll Need Alot of Special Tools,+ KNOWLEDGE......<br /><br />Andrew T.,<br />tylerin Is Right.... The Only Thing you're Greasing is the Gimbal Bearing,+ Possibly the Coupler Splines...... It's Physically Impossible to Grease the U-Joints without Removing the Outdrive......

tylerin

Commander

Boatin Bob, on the outside of sterndrive there is a zerk fitting to grease your gimbal bearing

tylerin

Commander

Or should I say the gimbal housing is where the fitting is located

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

CRT-it sure is good to know the ole' Amish made Skiffs are still alive and well !I've boated Erie many times in them. do yourself a favor and buy a manual(prox $35)they contain lots of valuable info...good luck with the Skiff ! ??me...from Dublin originally-now sunny Florida :cool:

CRT Skiff Crafter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks everyone for the great info. I've got a bad tool fetish, so I'm always happy to find reasons to buy more. And what could be better than working on boat related projects on those long winter days. Guess I need to hack together a stern drive stand in the laundry room.<br /><br />Regards, crt.

CRT Skiff Crafter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi zzzzz.<br />Thanks for the good word! I'll be heading down to Ft Myers next weekend myself, but alas only for a week :( <br /><br />Yeah, Skiff's still building beautiful boats over in Plain City, Oh. However, the business really survives on the demand for restoration work, while new builds are few-and-far-between. <br /><br />Terrific bunch of guys over there. I make frequent trips to the plant and often hang around just to learn various techniques. <br /><br />By the way, I actually have 2 mercruiser shop manuals and often curl up with them both. Sure makes the bed lumpy though ;) .<br /><br />Regards, crt.

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

CRT-stop by when you're down..we're about 40 minutes north of Ft Myers in Port Charlotte..we rent boats next door if you want to go out fishin'! :cool:

CRT Skiff Crafter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey zzzzz. <br />Renting a boat and doing some fishing sounds great! :D <br /><br />Questions:<br />Is there anyplace where I can rent tackle? <br /><br />How far in advance do I need to arrange for a boat rental? <br /><br />Who do I contact? <br /><br />Regards, crt.

andrewgroup

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Opps, I removed the BOTH with regard to lubing the U-joints from the inside. This is only possible on my 1969 Type II 1:1.78 Rock Crusher outdrive. On the Cobra, I had the Outdrive off and inspected last fall, replaced the bellows and inspected the Gimbal Bearing and Ujoints and all was in perfect condition. manual repacked everything and also replaced the Cobra Grease Tube.

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

CRT-go to Our marina then click on the boat rental link...you'll find all the contact info there..you'll probably want to rent out of their Punta Gorda location if you'll be in Ft Myers :cool: ...don't know who rents tackle but someone might...you shouldn't need too much notice to reserve a boat-we're just starting to get a few "snowbirds" in

CRT Skiff Crafter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the great info Andrew T.<br /><br />zzzzz: I will definitely be checking out the boat rental information. As for tackle, perhaps my friend in Ft Myers can scrounge something up.<br /><br />Regards, crt.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

tylerin....I know the gimbal bearing zirc is on the stbd side of the gimbal housing about half way down(outside of boat), thats where I grease it but the way I read Andrews first post it sounded like he had come up with a way to grease it from inside the boat, I knew he couldn't do the u-joints from there.

tylerin

Commander

Bob,Cobra, no way to grease the gimbal from inside the boat, and no way to grease the u-joints without removing drive