Stern on a Lowe's boat?

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer
I just purchased a Lowe's aluminum deep 'V' boat. Has a 35 H.P. Johnson on it, rated for up to 40 H.P. The stern is one layer of aluminum, I don't know how thick it is, but it is the same thickness as the rest of the hull. The only difference is about the top 6 inches or so of the stern where the motor is clamped down. It is about 2" thick. I am just wondering what is between the outer and inner aluminum in this area of the stern? Is it normally wood in between or some other material normally? If it is wood, is it a special marine plywood or some other type of wood? Thanks!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
It is wood

It is exterior grade plywood ( not treated because that would corrode the aluminum)

iggyw1

It is wood

It is exterior grade plywood ( not treated because that would corrode the aluminum)
Thank you. I want to add a trolling motor bracket on the stern so I needed to know what I am going to drill into for the thru bolts I will be using to mount the bracket.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Thank you. I want to add a trolling motor bracket on the stern so I needed to know what I am going to drill into for the thru bolts I will be using to mount the bracket.
If you drill thru the 2" thick portion (top of transom) you'll need bolts long enough to go thru. If the bottom bracket bolts fall below the motor mount section (where the transom is only 1/16" aluminum, you'll need to use a piece of exterior grade wood to use as a backer inside the boat.

iggyw1

If you drill thru the 2" thick portion (top of transom) you'll need bolts long enough to go thru. If the bottom bracket bolts fall below the motor mount section (where the transom is only 1/16" aluminum, you'll need to use a piece of exterior grade wood to use as a backer inside the boat.
I think the part that is already 2" is big enough (top to bottom) as is, but if I do need to go with something below the thick part, I know I will need to "beef it up" to match the top half. I am going to mount an electric trolling motor on the motor mount. Cannot just mount it onto the stern port side as it will be in the way of the steering cable rod on my main motor unless I keep the electric troller on the starboard side where it is at now, but I really want it on the port side of my boat. Thanks for your input.