Stern lock over vent plug

ALAG3

Seaman
I have a dilemma. I have a mercruiser alpha 1 outdrive and am changing the oil in the lower unit. The previous owner installed a Monarch Moor Stern Lock on the stud near the top oil screw, making it impossible to remove the screw. The problem is I bought the boat from a dealership and they did not have the key for the stern lock. :( My question is, can I fill the lower unit up from the bottom like normal, but with the top screw still in? I do have a resivoir on the side of the engine for lower unit oil and was wondering if there is a way to safely fill it without removing the stern lock? Thanks!

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Stern lock over vent plug

No. You're gonna have to find a way to get the lock off................JK

trebor0301

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is the lock a standard key type? What about a locksmith? If it was me and the boat was recently purchased I would talk to Managment(or higher)about the promblem and see if they will take care of the problem(pay for service).These things are allways neg.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

If it's one of those locking nuts similar to mag wheel lock nuts...they are a piece of cake to take off.<br />Even Sears sells the sockets to remove them....they have deep spiral ridges in them and you just tap them on w/ a hammer (slightly) and the ridges dig in.<br />Go to a larger Sears store and tell them you need the mag tool lock removal sockets.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

if you have the resevoir for the drive remove the cap and fill it from the bottom until the correct level is reached in the resevoir. if no hull mounted or engine mounted resevoir you will have to vent it. last one I did like that I had to remove the drive upper bearing cap and fill from the bottom to the level of the vent threads. to remove the lock without the key weld a nut or socket to it after welding the two lock parts together. thats how we did it.

Phantom17

Petty Officer 1st Class

You could try an auto body shop, or auto mechanic and see if they have the items necessary without having to buy them yourself. When I did body work, I always helped someout with those types of problems. It's good customer service, and if your happy and he doesn't charge you anything, throw him a case of beer or a few bucks for his pocket. It's good to know people will help you out, and they remember the return. Good luck.

ALAG3

Seaman

well, I called the manufacturer of the lock. Bad news...there is no master key and there are approx. 2 million key variations. They tell me I can drill the lock out, but I will need about 4 carbide bits as it will wear them out and it will take about 1.5 hours to drill. This stinks! I kinda like the option of a stern lock, but guess I don't have much other option.....

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

and thats why they make welding machines. it takes longer to set up for the tack welding than the actual removal of the lock. always remember when locking things up that locks just keep the honest folk honest.<br />most any tire and wheel shop has the equipment and has removed wheel locks. about the same thing.

Richard Petersen

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Am I missing that a good carbide disc can grind anything off if done carefully?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

would be difficult to grind without hitting the drive or the stud, but not impossible. we just weld the inner sleeve to the outer then weld a socket or piece of pipe on it and remove it. takes 10 min or so and does not damage the paint.

ALAG3

Seaman

this lock is not like a mag wheel lock that has various star patterns. It actually has a round key hole that goes down inside the center of the lock. Do you still think welding those inside pieces together will work?

trebor0301

Petty Officer 2nd Class

O.K that lock is the same key type I had for my bicycle lock.It was a Kryptonite brand.Well they had to take those off the market because the general public found you could take a bic pen apart and the outer tube of the pen would fit directly into the lock.Guess what?it opened the lock.Its posted all over the internet if you look.That is how the people @Kryptonite found out.I don't know if it will work for you,but you should at least give it a try.